Blown Motor 1990 Carver Aft Cabin

lakereeltor

Recruit
For reasons I won't get into, I've not had access to this boat for a while. When I finally cleared things up, and went to start the motors, there was a banging noise and the starboard engine wouldn't start. I took the valve covers off, everything looked OK. Pulled the intake manifold and saw some corrosion, about what I expected. Took the heads off, and it became apparent to me that this engine, with 900 hours on it, needs to be replaced (or rebuilt). The banging appears to be on the lower end of the motor, I can't get the engine broken down that far without taking it out. ]

Is this block dead, or should I have it bored and rebuilt? The corrosion that I can see worries me. I'd like to keep this boat long term also.

If I am ordering a new long block, what is relevant for me to know? It appears to me to be a gen IV, casting number 14015445. Do I have to use a gen IV or will a Gen V or VI work also? What else should I look up to try to get the top end and all other items to go right back on the new block? It would be nice to reuse the same ignition, throttle cable settings, etc.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
For reasons I won't get into, I've not had access to this boat for a while. When I finally cleared things up, and went to start the motors, there was a banging noise and the starboard engine wouldn't start. I took the valve covers off, everything looked OK. Pulled the intake manifold and saw some corrosion, about what I expected. Took the heads off, and it became apparent to me that this engine, with 900 hours on it, needs to be replaced (or rebuilt). The banging appears to be on the lower end of the motor, I can't get the engine broken down that far without taking it out. ]

Is this block dead, or should I have it bored and rebuilt? The corrosion that I can see worries me. I'd like to keep this boat long term also.

If I am ordering a new long block, what is relevant for me to know? It appears to me to be a gen IV, casting number 14015445. Do I have to use a gen IV or will a Gen V or VI work also? What else should I look up to try to get the top end and all other items to go right back on the new block? It would be nice to reuse the same ignition, throttle cable settings, etc.

:welcome: to iboats

Ya know you could make it a bit easier on us if you mentioned what engine your working on, size and serial numbers are best. I went an looked up the casting number listed and it says it's is a 454 with either a 2 or 4 bolt mains, year 1978 to 1990. There is no Gen specified but you will be able to use any Generation. All your stuff should bolt right up. Since it is a Carver it is probably either a straight or Vee drive so your water pump is external. Does your fuel pump mount to the seawater pump?

lakereeltor

Recruit
Mercruiser 7.4, believe it is a 2 barrel carb, fuel pump is on the block.

So engine mounts will fit any generation? The drive I am not sure what to tell you, I wil llook at it next time I am there.

Big price difference in long blocks, but also looks like more power in the newer ones?

Last edited:

lakereeltor

Recruit

So engine mounts will fit any generation? The drive I am not sure what to tell you, I wil llook at it next time I am there.

Big price difference in long blocks, but also looks like more power in the gen V and VI?

alldodge

Staff member

Big price difference in long blocks, but also looks like more power in the gen V and VI?

If you don't have outdrives then you either have a vee or straight. Doesn't really matter if it's Vee or straight, but does make a difference with outdrives. There is more power with the later Gen's but this is due to internal workings of the engine (cam, valves, heads). Out side will still be about the same. The laters will not have a fuel pump area, so it needs to be either converted to electric or attached to seawater pump. Your seawater pump does not have the fuel pump mounted so electric would probably be the way to go.