split outdrive in half

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1987 alpha one outdrive just got the boat, the outdrive is out of the boat I loose all the bolts and is not splitting any tips or advice thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Did you remove the trim tab (little zinc fin at the back of the drive) and remove the bolt from the cavity under that?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
So, nut off the front, nut off each side (2), nuts off from under the cav plate (2), and bolt out from under the trim tab. Drive should came apart. Sometimes the drive shaft does stick, or the location pins stick. You might need to wedge it apart slightly to get a screwdriver or such in....

Chris......

thumpar

Admiral
Make sure you removed the bolt from under the trim tab and not just he trim tab bolt. It should come apart easily if all the fasteners are removed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you have removed the front nut, the 2 nuts under the cavitation plate and the allen bolt UNDER the zinc tab and loosened the 2 side nuts and it doesent budge
then snug down the 2 side nuts, insert a 7/16 ths open end wrench on top of the nuts and unscrew the nuts equally. This will pry the halves apart enough to insert a screwdriver in the space to completely split them.
DO NOT PRY IN THE QUAD SEAL AREA. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHERE THAT IS ,ASK

betayv

getting ready to blowns the outdrive is coming apart

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
then snug down the 2 side nuts, insert a 7/16 ths open end wrench on top of the nuts and unscrew the nuts equally. This will pry the halves apart enough to insert a screwdriver in the space to completely split them.

^^^ Yep. Have had to do that a few times. Especially when used in salt water. Works great.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use a chunk of aluminum between the nuts and the case to push against. also, I used hardwood shims to drive apart. get some tefgel to put on the locating pins when you put it together. it will help next time.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep, I always smear a coat of grease on joining halves when I put something together on the boat, makes things come apart so much easier next time. I even coat my outdrive nose when reinstalling the outdrive for the summer, in fall the outdrive comes off very easily. Grease can be your friend on disassembly.

betayv

is apart finally, looks like they never open this outdrive, the water pump impeller was totally destroyed. now Im waiting for the new part.