Exhaust shutters

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm dreading the answer here, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I have an 898 5.0 1978 vintage. I know the exhaust shutters are at the bottom of the Y pipe. Any way to change them without pullin the motor?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm dreading the answer here, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I have an 898 5.0 1978 vintage. I know the exhaust shutters are at the bottom of the Y pipe. Any way to change them without pullin the motor?

This thing in the below link can help if you can get a hold of it. Removing the drive and will probably take two folks to do it. One to watch and help at the exhaust port and the other with the grabber

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360806690793?lpid=82

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I can't see how you could chance them without pulling the engine. To do the job you need to unbolt the top section of the Y-pipe from each side. I can't see any way of doing that with the engine in place.

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to both of you....foiled again. I don't know if I enjoy this boat hobby or if it's some kind of sick self abuse syndrome.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks to both of you....foiled again. I don't know if I enjoy this boat hobby or if it's some kind of sick self abuse syndrome.

I look at it as B words, boats, babes, beer, bu##s, bres##, oh yes one L word, legs :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear about your issue

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If it's got tyres or t**s, it'll be trouble.
The other one... If it flies, floats or (something else :evil:), rent it!

alldodge

Staff member
I thought it was t**s or pistons, but get the drift or float as it goes

old islander

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I was younger it was allways" if it has t**s or wheels, it's gonna cost you money. I guess in this case it's " if it has props or wheels" Words to live by....

Last edited: