6.2 Mercruiser V-drive Belt Issues

w317chester

Seaman
I have a 2003 6.2 Mercruiser MX MPI V-drive that has been recently completely remanufactured with almost everything replaced but I keep having belt issues. The motor keeps throwing off the belt when in rougher water and/or higher RPM's. Can't figure out the culprit of the problem. All the pulleys look to be aligned and none look to have excessive wobble or runout (just looking with the naked eye). I can notice that the belt is riding up on the edge of the harmonic balancer pulley a bit but not sure the reasoning for this. Had a Mercury mechanic look it over and he's not sure the culprit either (although he's not used to working on inboards much). Any help would be much appreciated!

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2003 6.2 Mercruiser MX MPI V-drive that has been recently completely remanufactured with almost everything replaced but I keep having belt issues. The motor keeps throwing off the belt when in rougher water and/or higher RPM's. Can't figure out the culprit of the problem. All the pulleys look to be aligned and none look to have excessive wobble or runout (just looking with the naked eye). I can notice that the belt is riding up on the edge of the harmonic balancer pulley a bit but not sure the reasoning for this. Had a Mercury mechanic look it over and he's not sure the culprit either (although he's not used to working on inboards much). Any help would be much appreciated!

Either the pulleys are not aligned with the belt walking off, wrong length belt, something not put back together correctly or tension idler pulley is weak. Wouldn't be the first time someone forgot to tighten up the seawater pump bolts. Have an engine serial number

Belt
Open cooling 57-865615Q05 2233MM long
Closed cooling 57-865615Q10 2195MM long

Last edited:

w317chester

Seaman
Either the pulleys are not aligned with the belt walking off, wrong length belt, something not put back together correctly or tension idler pulley is weak. Wouldn't be the first time someone forgot to tighten up the seawater pump bolts. Have an engine serial number

Belt
Open cooling 57-865615Q05 2233MM long
Closed cooling 57-865615Q10 2195MM long

Thanks Alldodge. I've had a few sets of eyes look at it and we can't see anything that's obviously misaligned. I think tension pulley is pretty stout, although I can look again. I've set it a few times myself pretty tight. I think all other pulleys are tight. Is it possible to get the belt too tight?