squeaking or chirping noise

jeremymik84

Cadet
hey all i have a 96 caravelle 1750 se with a mercruiser 3.0 and the past 2 times i have been out on the water, i have noticed a pretty loud squealing or squeaking or chriping noise comin from the back of the motor. I thought at first it was the belt but it doesnt seem to be coming from that area, i have no idea what could be squealing so if anyone has any idea please feel free to help me out.

DaveG55

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much else there, alternator, power steering and a water pump. Bearings in any of those could do it. Is the noise constant or does it come and go or only on start up or??

jeremymik84

Cadet
yes, i think it may be gimbal bearing. it only does it when warm and at idle. it goes away once i get going. not very loud either just enough to hear it and wonder what it is lol. going to grease it up this evening and see if that will shut her up

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Take off the belt and start it up and see if it goes away. If not you have eliminated all of the possible causes on the front of the engine.

jeremymik84

Cadet
well i wont say i know it isnt the belt cuz i aint sure, but it definitely sounds like its coming from the back of the motor. i will take the belt off and check that but i just dont see it being the belt.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
You're probably right... but sound can do funny things. At least you will have definitely eliminated quite a few possible sources. That's the only way to find a problem. Eliminate the possible causes, then what ever is left is the issue! ;)

Bondo

Staff member
You're probably right... but sound can do funny things. At least you will have definitely eliminated quite a few possible sources. That's the only way to find a problem. Eliminate the possible causes, then what ever is left is the issue! ;)

Ayuh,..... The definition of Diagnosis,.... ;)

tpenfield

Staff member
hey all i have a 96 caravelle 1750 se with a mercruiser 3.0 and the past 2 times i have been out on the water, i have noticed a pretty loud squealing or squeaking or chriping noise comin from the back of the motor. I thought at first it was the belt but it doesnt seem to be coming from that area, i have no idea what could be squealing so if anyone has any idea please feel free to help me out.

My ideas would be:

Cricket
Bird
Gimbal Bearing
Engine Main Bearing

An additional check would be to listen to the noise at the stern, outside the transom, versus inside the transom to see if it is more prevalent in vs. out, etc.

Posts updates as you proceed through your process of elimination, as Fishermark & Bondo suggested.