1990 Sea Ray Oil in bilge 3.0 liter Mercruiser Alpha One

I think a little oil in the bilge is okay, but yesterday after 3 hours on the water the boat left a puddle of oil when pulling the drain plug. One quart of oil was consued which IS excessive.

Do these motors create an 'oily mist' in the engine compartment?

Where are some likely places where oil *may* be leaking?

The exhaust color is nearly clear, not leaving a smokescreen, so I think the internals are okay.

Bondo

Staff member
I think a little oil in the bilge is okay, but yesterday after 3 hours on the water the boat left a puddle of oil when pulling the drain plug. One quart of oil was consued which IS excessive.

Do these motors create an 'oily mist' in the engine compartment?

Where are some likely places where oil *may* be leaking?

The exhaust color is nearly clear, not leaving a smokescreen, so I think the internals are okay.

Ayuh,.... You have an oil leak,.... a Gusher like that oughta be pretty easy to find, but ya gotta Look,....
A digital camera or flashlight, 'n mirror help,....

No, boat motor's ain't supposed to leak oil, mist or otherwise, 'n Nope, no common points,...

Is this a saltwater boat,..??
What's the oil Level now,..??

Thanks Bondo. Yeah, the oil coats everything in the the engine compartment. Perhaps one of the seals up front and oil being slung all over.

The previous owners used it in the ocean, but I do not. The oil level was right at the max level, now it's at the min level.

I see no leaks from the block or head. Haven't looked at the pan quite yet.

BruKen

Seaman Apprentice
My flame arrestor sometimes takes a knock and turns / spins round just enough so it dislodges the breather pipe aim from pointing into the carb intake. That blows a bit of an oil mist about if I push the old motor some. But never that amount of oil, a light localised sheen at best. If it is your breather, check your compression. Once I got a backfire after flooding on cold start that popped the oil cap, that was messy by the days end. Other than that the motor itself has proved very reliable and consumes next to no oil. Pity the bits around it haven't fared quite as well.

camalot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Take a look at the front chain guard/cover, they are made of thin metal and it's common for them to corrode.

Thanks Bruken, that was my first thought. Sorry I forgot to mention the flame arrestor/crankcase breather looked good. The engine runs very good, since I set the timing/dwell and repaired the advance weights. Starts right up and no backfire.

Well, yes camalot, but if I look at it I may need to replace it! :laugh: Thank you for that, I'll check there too and give everyone an update by this weekend.

I am hoping it isn't a crank seal, as that would involve pulling the engine. I'm not set up for that here....yet.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks Bruken, that was my first thought. Sorry I forgot to mention the flame arrestor/crankcase breather looked good. The engine runs very good, since I set the timing/dwell and repaired the advance weights. Starts right up and no backfire.

Well, yes camalot, but if I look at it I may need to replace it! :laugh: Thank you for that, I'll check there too and give everyone an update by this weekend.

I am hoping it isn't a crank seal, as that would involve pulling the engine. I'm not set up for that here....yet.

Ayuh,.... So will a rusted out timin' cover or oil pan,....