Drive bellows clamp cut by drive ???

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Noticed water in bilge a few days ago. Inspected the drive, found a clamp that looked like it was cut. The inner drive bellows clamp.

Seems like the drive cut it while pivoting left/right or raising up/down , but how is this possible ? IS IT possible ??

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I don't see how the clamp could be in contact with the drive in any way shape or form if it was installed correctly. Which drive are you talking about? And which bellows? And which end - forward or aft?

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the hose clamp was properly installed, there is no way that the movement of the stern drive could cut the hose clamp. 2 possibilities- a foreign object was wedged between the bell housing and transom plate, and when trimming down, the object tore the clamp, or the clamp was over-tightened and finally decided to part.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Or there's more broken stuff ya ain't found yet,....

I mispositioned the AFT drive bellows clamp, with the clamping part at 6 o'clock and it bumped into the gimble pivot, not allowing the unit to go full down. It would have failed if I had not found it and replaced it with a *correctly* positioned clamp.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If the clamp wasn't 'genuine', then the quality is not as good, they do break.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry, I thought I explained it but here goes.

It's the u-joint bellows clamp (Alpha Gen 2). As far as I can see, there's only one way to install it properly, because the bolt has to align with the hole in the gimbal housing so the screwdriver can tighten it.

I just replaced all the bellows, clamps, hoses at beginning of season and was wondering if I, in fact, DID overtighten that clamp a bit, being somewhat paranoid of water intrusion. I DID notice a kink in the clamp, as if something DID press hard into it before breaking it. Just not sure what it could have been.

My only choice is to put another one on and trim up/down, and turn left/right and see what might be hitting it. And no, there's no other "more serious" issues.