Fly wheel vs starter

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Hey y'all guess my starter got stuck open and ground pretty much teeth off my fly wheel. It's round and smooth. Do i have to take the motor out to change?

Bondo

Staff member
Hey y'all guess my starter got stuck open and ground pretty much teeth off my fly wheel. It's round and smooth. Do i have to take the motor out to change?

Ayuh,..... Pull the drive, then the motor,.... Ya might get by, not pullin' it outa the hull, but forward enough to access the flywheel,...

'n ya need a new Ring Gear, not the entire flywheel,.... the gear knocks off the flywheel,...
Heat the new one in yer oven to 'bout 400°, 'n it'll drop right onto the cleaned flywheel,...

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank you hopefully pulling it forward will be enough. Do you have a part number for the ring gear? Would it last longer just to have a whole new wheel? I don't with it to come off or something again lol

Bondo

Staff member
Ok thank you hopefully pulling it forward will be enough. Do you have a part number for the ring gear? Would it last longer just to have a whole new wheel? I don't with it to come off or something again lol

Ayuh,.... There's only 2 possible sizes of yer ring gear, the 12" flywheel, 'n the 14" flywheel, I suspect, yer's is the latter,.....

Yer local Napa can sell ya 1, if you get a decent parts Guy,....

I just explained, "How it's Done",....

Drive the old 1 off, evenly 'round the flywheel, Clean the matin' surfaces, 'n drop the new 1 on, let it cool, 'n it ain't Never comin' off, without a hammer, 'n drift,...

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Good deal thank you. Someone said too I can use a 460 flywheel? Is that true I know a lot of parts are interchangeable. Do y'all know what year 460 or a part number for the flywheel from the 460 maybe I'll be half the cost since 460s are older now

Bondo

Staff member
Good deal thank you. Someone said too I can use a 460 flywheel? Is that true I know a lot of parts are interchangeable. Do y'all know what year 460 or a part number for the flywheel from the 460 maybe I'll be half the cost since 460s are older now

Ayuh,.... What motor ya got,..??..?? I thought ya have a V-motor, GM,.... You don't say in this thread,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It's a 1980 mercruiser 3.7 inline 4 470

Then all bets are off. A lot of the parts for that engine are Merc specific. (BTW, that's why we usually ask you mention in the opening post what engine... Our crystal balls are good, but not that good. And if you mentioned it in another thread you have, still no dice. I have over 16,000 posts, Bondo over 53,000. We can't remember ever post in every thread. Heck, I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night :eek:)

You can still just do the ring gear...

search Mercruiser 43-97433A1

or

BPIRG-157-N

The whole flywheel assembly number is Mercruiser 9741A2 The only ones I've seen are used on ebay.

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Ok ya they stopped production on the whole flywheel. That part number comes up for a 85-87 will that work on an 1980? The ring gear do I grind the wheel smooth then put the new one on? May just do that. Maybe a shop can do that for me so I don't f it up haha.

achris

To remove an old ring gear just hit it with a sharp cold chisel. It should then just fall off. The new one needs to be 'sweated' on. ie, heated up to about 400 degrees and then quickly put in place on the flywheel... BTW, you don't get a second chance. If you don't get it on square, cut it off and try another... Good luck.

As iboats doesn't seem to sell this item, try ebasicpower. Key in the part number from Eric, and you'll find it.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ok ya they stopped production on the whole flywheel. That part number comes up for a 85-87 will that work on an 1980? The ring gear do I grind the wheel smooth then put the new one on? May just do that. Maybe a shop can do that for me so I don't f it up haha.

No,..... Emery cloth, fairly fine, in yer Hand is plenty,.....
BTW, you don't get a second chance. If you don't get it on square, cut it off and try another...

While I've never had a ring gear fail to fall into place, when heated, 'n the wheel at room temp,.....

If it did, I wouldn't hesitate to knock it back off, reheat it, 'n try again,.... after seein' where I hadn't cleaned the flywheel,.... ;) :D

Powerstroked73

Seaman Apprentice
Haha no I have a powerstroke that's where I got that from. Ok I got the drive unbolted, ready to slide out, do I have to mark the shafts in a line so they go back in the way they came out? The coupler is attached to the flywheel right I have to take that off to get to the flywheel and that's just five bolts then use a rubber mallet and beat it off with two loose bolts on it so it doesn't fall on my feet. I went to boat owners whare house there's two different sizes they said 13" and 14" so I have to take it off and take it in becuase there's no Id plates on the motor to get the seriel numbers off of. Slowly but surely I'll get this boat water ready..

achris

No need to mark any shafts when removing the drive. I'm not sure, but I think the flywheel is keyed to the crank. If it isn't, just mark that, and the coupler.