Starter rebuild kit needed

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need my starter rebuilt, not working the way it needs too, it sat for 10+ years and I tore it down and cleaned it and reassembled it, it was very dirty and gunked, I think I need a rebuild kit now to get it to work properly, does anyone know where I can find one? Also it has 4 electrical posts, The main one, solenoid to motor, solenoid switch one and I do not know what the 4th one is?
1996 Maxum 2100SR, Chevy 350 with a Mercruiser Alpha one gen 2, I do not know the engine year, all i could find is it was casted between 1987 and somewhere around 1994 I believe

Pictures of the starter

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there are 2 types of solenoids, short and long,both will work . the 4th lug you refer to was used to supply 12v directly to the coil for starting

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
there are 2 types of solenoids, short and long,both will work . the 4th lug you refer to was used to supply 12v directly to the coil for starting

I dont believe I removed a wire from the 4th post, I may have, do you know which color it would be? I have had it partial fire with no wire connected there

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just simply buy a new starter. You will be happier in the long run.....

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
buy a new starter is better is your starter a straight bolt pattern, or across, be sure is a marine starter, is plenty websites selling new starter on affordable prices, I just bought mine from a local source starter 85$, alternator 95$, both brand spanking new.

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I cant afford a new starter, I just rebuild this whole engine and I am running dry on funds for it, wanted to sell this thing before winter so a rebuild kit is what I am looking for

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It used to be common to rebuild things like the starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc and you could buy kits. These days it is hard to find a kit. You can still buy the individual parts I would guess... but you will need to do a search online and see.

Bondo

Staff member
It used to be common to rebuild things like the starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc and you could buy kits. These days it is hard to find a kit. You can still buy the individual parts I would guess... but you will need to do a search online and see.

Ayuh,... Rebuild Kits are but a footnote in history, today,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
About all a 're-build kit' is, is brushes. As Merc used a few different starters on those engine a bit more info on the starter itself and I will find the parts you're after.

Chris......