Trim not working on 98 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one, any diagnostic tips?

jbrockey

Recruit
I have a 1998 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one. Trim worked fine the other day, launched my boat and the trim would not work at all. When I press the trim tabs nothing happens, you can't hear the motor or anything. Looking for some help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim not working on 98 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one, any diagnostic tips?

Witch is it, outdrive trim or trim tab trim
Untitled_zps3c70586e.jpg

Last edited:

jbrockey

Recruit
Re: Trim not working on 98 mercruiser 3.0 alpha one, any diagnostic tips?

trim tab trim.

jbrockey

Recruit
So i was able to get the motor to move the trim up and down using a jumper cable. I also checked the 110 amp fuse and the 20A fuse and they were good to go. Anybody have any suggestions on where to look next.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you did it from the above post , then main power, solenoids, trim motor are all working properly. The trouble is from the 3 conductor plug to the control box switch.
Make yourself some leads with the spade connector and insert into the plug housing . I think the vertical slot is power and the horiz slots are up and down. shorting 2 wires will make the trim go up and down. If so, trouble is from the plug to the control box.

jbrockey

Recruit
Thank you I will try that tonight. I know this sounds dumb, but when you say to short the 2 wires, you talking just touching them together right?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
correct , I would meter the leads checking to see what one has 12v, and then touch that wire to one of the other 2
The 20a fuse gets power from the brass buss bar and sends it thru the plug to the control box. I have found the 12v lead to be corroded away in the rubber plug.
power into the fuse but no power thru the connector