Missing o-ring atop the lower unit drive shaft...

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I still havent been able to figure out why my reverse is not working, but I just realized that the o-ringthat goes at the top of the drive shaft of the lower unit. I read in the manual that it prevents water from reaching up the drive shaft splines. If water does reach up there, where else will it reach...? I am guessing all the way up the upper gear housing, and eventually into the u joint bellow? I am replacing that o ring asap.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Missing o-ring atop the lower unit drive shaft...

no , you have it all wrong, water cannot enter from the driveshaft area.
Thought you were going to post the pics of the shift shoe in the lower unit so we can try and figure out the shift issue.

Last edited:

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

no , you have it all wrong, water cannot enter from the driveshaft area.
Thought you were going to post the pics of the shift shoe in the lower unit so we can try and figure out the shift issue.

I will i just havent got around to it. I am a paramedic and work long hours...:)

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

That O-ring causes more trouble than it is worth. That is why on later drives they did away with the O-ring groove completely. It is the cause of problems with the lower of the two drive shaft seals in more cases than not. I never put it back in. I always make sure the lower seal is in good shape when I do my drive maintenance. If not, I replace the lower seal. That keeps the water out of the splines.