Trim pump problems!!

crazysamie

Cadet
We are restoring our boat and we had to remove the side panels for new vinyl work. We removed the shifter with trim switch making sure to take note of the way the wires were hooked up. After the new side panel went in we put the shifter back in and hooked all the wires back up according to the notes taken. When we hooked the battery back up the trim pump sound like it trying to run constantly. The boat is an '86 mercruiser 140hp. The seleniods and fuse are new replaced last year and the trim pump was running fine a couple weeks ago.The shifter is an older style with a red trim switch in the handle. Keep in mind I have not changed the wiring at all other than disconnecting it and reconnecting it so here is how the wiring goes.....Three wires coming out of the switch, red, green and blue. According to my notes the red was connected to another red leading to a fuse in the dash, the green connected to a brown wire, which leads to the seleniod and the blue is connected to a purple also leading back to the seleniod. Any help with this would be appreciated as I have yet to figure this out. :grumpy:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Trim pump problems!!

In the following diagram, you have trim control 'A'...

Use a test light and check you have power to the solenoids when you press a button...

HTH,

Chris.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2 solenoid trim.jpg
    2 solenoid trim.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

crazysamie

Cadet

Went back through and figured out a couple things. First I think I have some pretty dirty terminals. After fixing a couple things I got it to work fine but now the trim goes down fine but just clicks going up. I am going to go back through and clean the terminals up. I think this may be a bad connection issue. Thanks for the help and I'll repost tomorrow when I get a chance to do some more work on it.
Jeanette....
In the following diagram, you have trim control 'A'...

Use a test light and check you have power to the solenoids when you press a button...

HTH,

Chris.....

attachment.php

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Solenoid clicking but not running the pump could be either the solenoid is faulty and not passing the current or the pump motor is faulty. After confirming you have power to the supply side of the solenoid, connect a test light to the switched side and press the button (in this case UP). If the test light comes on, faulty pump or wiring to the motor. Test light does not come on, replace the solenoid...

Chris...

crazysamie

Cadet

Thanks Chris I will check that out. Hoping just cruddy terminals but it could be any of them.
Solenoid clicking but not running the pump could be either the solenoid is faulty and not passing the current or the pump motor is faulty. After confirming you have power to the supply side of the solenoid, connect a test light to the switched side and press the button (in this case UP). If the test light comes on, faulty pump or wiring to the motor. Test light does not come on, replace the solenoid...

Chris...