Gimbal bearing question.

upjumpin

Recruit
Hey guys. What a helpful bunch you are. Hats off to you all.
The story... Bought a hole in the water, a 77 20' SeaRay Cuddy. Got a really good deal. ;) Among other earlier problems, noticed a pretty bad noise coming from the transom area last time out. Noise didn't change in gear or out. With my limited knowledge, I figured the gimbal bearing or u-joint. When I pulled the outdrive, some water came out.. a cup or two, I wasn't ready for it. Is that all bad news or could it have come from the water pump line. The bellows looks like it must have been replaced at some point. It looks pretty good from the outside. Someone had done some recent work to it as there is a fresh outdrive gasket. There's a little water laying in the bellows and moisture on the u-joint but it doesn't really look like water's been spinning around in there.
The gimbal bearing feels dry (no grease) so I'm thinking it needs replaced. If I don' replace the bellows, can I replace the bearing and inner seal from this point or do I need to pull the bell housing?
One more thing, there's about a half a spline gear tooth or maybe 10 degrees of play in the gears of the drive. It's in gear and I can turn the drive shaft that much. Is that OK or more bad news. Thanks ahead of time.. I think.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Gimbal bearing question.

you must located the source of the water in the u-joint bellows, most obvoius is a hole - check it thoroughly

you need to pressure test the drive too, with water in the bellows there's a good chance the yoke seal has been compromised

the "play" you feel in the gears is normal - that is called gear lash, its important to have the right amount of lash or premature gear/bearing failure can occur

upjumpin

Recruit
Re: Gimbal bearing question.

Thanks dub. I'll follow up on your suggestions. Glad the gear lash is normal.