Lower Sterndrive Unit Interchangeable

tom5410

Seaman
I have a 1979 Sea Ray with a mercruiser 228, had water in my lower unit over the winter, my fault, been kicking myself all weekend, need a new lower unit and found one pretty cheap but it came off a 140. Does anyone know if a 140 lower unit will fit a 228 lower unit, appreciate any help. This cite I so great. Thanks in advance

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Lower Sterndrive Unit Interchangeable

The gear ratio will be way off. You need one from a V8.

tom5410

Seaman

the lower unit gear ratio will be way off, I still plan on using the original upper unit, another question would be if any of the gears in the original lower unit would fit in the 1977 140 lower unit. thanks for the reply thumpar

thumpar

Admiral

If you just plan on using the lower you will be fine. The gear ratio is set in the upper. What happened to the lower? If it failed you probably have metal in the gear lube what would have made its way to the upper.

ETA: Have you pressured tested what you have? If you found water it would almost always be in the lower because the water is heavier than the lube.

Last edited:

tom5410

Seaman

I winterized the engine but forgot to check the lower unit, it had enough water in it to freeze and crack, way out of round the cover nut will not even thread, it just slides in. my fault

thumpar

Admiral

Make sure your upper is OK. The water could have come in from there. How do your bellows look?

tom5410

Seaman

replaced bellows last year, they look ok, everything I have checked look ok except the lower unit. I had it running Saturday morning before I notice the oil leaking, pulled the prop and found the cover nut cracked in two place.

tom5410

Seaman

will do on checking the upper unit, appreciate the reply thanks