ignition power

Lawbreaker

Cadet
Boat dies as soon as switch leaves starting position.. Itll run ad long as the starters turning over. Help. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: ignition power

Please Read This Before Posting A Question...-> How to Ask a Question....

IF it has a resistance wire in the ignition system, it's likely to be the problem, but without knowing what you're working on, it's just a guess...

Last edited:

achris

Inline 6 or inline 4?

Either way, it does have a resistance wire. Take a test light and connect the clip to the engine block. Turn the key to ON and check for voltage at coil +... If you don't have power there, run a TEMPORARY wire directly from the battery + to the coil + and see if that fixes the problem... If it does (and you'll need to pull the wire off in order to stop the engine), you can fix it in one of 2 ways. You can buy the resistance wire kit from Merc (part# -94227A2) and fit that according to the instructions included or just install and 'external ballast resistor' available from any auto shop (you need 1.8 to 2 Ohms)... You'll need to be a bit handy with a soldering iron and wiring...

Chris.....

Last edited:

Lawbreaker

Cadet

Even tho i had fire to coil i ran wire anyway from battery to coil and it ran. Problem? Thanks again

achris

Even tho i had fire to coil i ran wire anyway from battery to coil and it ran. Problem? Thanks again

Have you done anything to the engine lately? Done a tune, replaced any parts?

Lawbreaker

Cadet

Yes wires , cap, button all solenoids,everything but coil. Picking up resistor today. Thanks for ya time n help