Spark coming off harmonica balance

Flygirl88

Recruit
I have a 3.0 Mercruiser...while engine is running, there is an electrical spark coming from the balance to the timing cover. Engine has new distributor plug wires and new coil. Engine had burned head gasket out...not sure if it is related. Also, engine is grounded to boat. Any suggestions?

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spark coming off harmonica balance

Post the serial # for your engine. It will make it easier for the gurus on here to help you out.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Considering all the cast iron is at the same electrical potential I cant see a spark between the balancer and the timing cover.
Unless the hull is aluminum or steel the motor not connected to a ground.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Is the harmonic balancer,... Loose,..??

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Are you sure you have a 3 liter? I cannot imagine a scenario where you have a spark where you are indicating. The infamous 165 (or 470) Mercruiser (which could be mistaken for a 3 liter) has a rotor in front. I GUESS it would be possible for a spark to come from there. :confused: Just throwing out some guesses.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Never even thought of the stator on th e470 . could be getting chunked up by a magnet

Flygirl88

Recruit

Post the serial # for your engine. It will make it easier for the gurus on here to help you out.

I couldn't locate the serial number, but it is a 2001 Mercruiser 3.0 Liter and has a complete aluminum hull.

Fun Times

Staff member

Interesting! Any chance of posting a video of this happening?

Have you tried running the engine at night to see if there are any additional sparks then what you've already noticed.

Flygirl88

Recruit

I found my problem...the belt is causing friction running on the balancer causing static electricity producing sparks. I was told that replacing the belt should fix the problem

Flygirl88

Recruit

Interesting! Any chance of posting a video of this happening?

Have you tried running the engine at night to see if there are any additional sparks then what you've already noticed.[/QUOTE

Yes I've tried that and found that the only arc comes off the balancer to the timing cover. It happens about every 5-8 seconds once the motor has warmed up and the friction of the belt created by running in the groove of the balancer. It's kind of like walking across carpet, creating static then touching someone. Hope the new belt fixes the problem to eliminate the danger of creating a fire should I have a gas leak.