please help, mercruiser 170 starting problems, wont turn over

cudamank

Cadet
Re: please help, mercruiser 170 starting problems, wont turn over

Top Dead Center, lining up the timeing marks on the harmonic balancer or crank pulley.

It means that cyl #1 is at the top of its compression stroke, ready to fire. (hope that helps)

Last edited:

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, it sounds like your Dist. is 180 degrees out (firing on the exhaust stroke). With the crank on TDC, Take out your Dist. and give the rotor exactly 1/2 a turn, then put it back in and try it (it should be on the compression stroke then).

okay so let me get this straight, how do you line up the timing on the harmonic balancer & which way do i turn the rotor? where should it be facing after i do so?

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Top Dead Center, lining up the timeing marks on the harmonic balancer or crank pulley.

It means that cyl #1 is at the top of its compression stroke, ready to fire. (hope that helps)

Yeah there is a line scribed on the rotor. That line lines up with the "0" degree mark on the pointer at TDC. Unfortunatly it lines up at both the top of the compression stroke and the top of the exhaust stroke (180 degrees apart), if you put your thumb over the spark plug hole you can feel the compression build on the compression stroke.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK I'll try to make this as confusing as possible...... You have a left hand engine, that means your flywheel rotates counterclockwise when looked at FROM BEHIND. So when looking at the front of the engine your rotor (it is a rotor on a 470, not a harmonic balancer) on the crankshaft rotates clockwise, and the rotor on the distributor also rotates clockwise. So when you get around to it, to ADVANCE the timing you rotate the distributor body COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Hope this helps a little:rolleyes:.

Wellcraft170

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK I'll try to make this as confusing as possible...... You have a left hand engine, that means your flywheel rotates counterclockwise when looked at FROM BEHIND. So when looking at the front of the engine your rotor (it is a rotor on a 470, not a harmonic balancer) on the crankshaft rotates clockwise, and the rotor on the distributor also rotates clockwise. So when you get around to it, to ADVANCE the timing you rotate the distributor body COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Hope this helps a little:rolleyes:.

okay awesome now i get it haha thanks alot, and thanks dubs283 as well