Click when I try to start the boat

Artdude47

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I have a 1997 bayliner capri with a MerCruiser 3.0 engine. Last summer the last couple of times I took the boat out before winter Occasionally when I would turn the key to start the boat I would get nothing but a click. Usually one more try would have the boat start right up. So, trying to start it for the first time this year all I get is the click I can't get it to start at all. I'm thinking its the starter. Any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Click when I try to start the boat

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Clean the wirin' ends, Shiny Clean Metal, 'n try it,...

Start at the battery, both terminals, both ends of both wires,...

Grease 'em after to keep 'em corrosion Free,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

then most likely , replace the slave solenoid.

Artdude47

Cadet

Thank you for the responses I will definitely clean it up good and let you know my results.

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you for the responses I will definitely clean it up good and let you know my results.

Agree with bt doctur. Replace slave solenoid. That was my problem too.

Artdude47

Cadet

I got out there and cleaned everything up real well( the cables to the solenoid were real corroded) turn the key and click. Im fairly sure my battery is good but to make sure i tried to jump it off with a truck and still got the click. The click does sound like its coming from the slave solenoid and not the starter solenoid. Should i replace it?

Bondo

Staff member

I got out there and cleaned everything up real well( the cables to the solenoid were real corroded) turn the key and click. Im fairly sure my battery is good but to make sure i tried to jump it off with a truck and still got the click. The click does sound like its coming from the slave solenoid and not the starter solenoid. Should i replace it?

Ayuh,... Just Jumper it 1st, to see if it's passin' power, or not,...

TampaBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same exac issue. Except corroded wires. I replaced both slave solenoid and starter. Headache gone.

Artdude47

Cadet

So my starter is definitely good i jumped it and it spun. Woth multimeter it looked like 12.8 volts going into slave solenoid but only 10 coming out. How do i test if that's the problem?

Bondo

Staff member

So my starter is definitely good i jumped it and it spun. Woth multimeter it looked like 12.8 volts going into slave solenoid but only 10 coming out. How do i test if that's the problem?

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya already did,....

It should be passin' All the voltage, when excited, 'n closed,...

Artdude47

Cadet

So battery voltage should be leaving the slave solenoid? I should replace that?

Artdude47

Cadet

So after following the electrical troubleshooting guide ive decided the starter does need to come out and thats easier said than done. I managed to get the big bolt out with a socket but the smaller one is much harder. Does anyone have a recommendation for tools to use or how to do it?

Bondo

Staff member

So after following the electrical troubleshooting guide ive decided the starter does need to come out and thats easier said than done. I managed to get the big bolt out with a socket but the smaller one is much harder. Does anyone have a recommendation for tools to use or how to do it?

Ayuh,.... Two bolts, Up from below, both same size wrench,... What's the problem yer havin',..??

If the shroud is to close, try a thin-wall socket,...

Artdude47

Cadet

Okay i got it off and put my other one on to test. And now every time i try to hook up battery positive the starter spins. I have three wires on bottom terminal abred from the wire another thick red and sn orange. Is this correct?

MikDee

Banned

Then you must have the wires on the wrong terminals. Here, check out these diagrams:

Attachments

• coil wiring.jpg
    coil wiring.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • Starter Solenoid wiring.jpg
    Starter Solenoid wiring.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member

After taking the starter off have it tested at autozone and the like. It it test good, go find the slave solenoid that Bt Doc mentioned in post 3

Artdude47

Cadet

Thanks for the suggestions, I tested the slave solenoid using the starting system test that is in the stickey and it checked out fine. Looking at the diagrams it seems as if my starter has been wired wrong all along, is that possible? Because it did work for a while. If you look at the terminal side of the starter then the solenoid is above it and to the left. On the topmost big terminal is the ground to the starter the left is from the slave solenoid and the bottom is battery. The diagram makes it look like the bottom and top should be switched? Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks for the suggestions, I tested the slave solenoid using the starting system test that is in the stickey and it checked out fine. Looking at the diagrams it seems as if my starter has been wired wrong all along, is that possible? Because it did work for a while. If you look at the terminal side of the starter then the solenoid is above it and to the left. On the topmost big terminal is the ground to the starter the left is from the slave solenoid and the bottom is battery. The diagram makes it look like the bottom and top should be switched? Any ideas?

No

To find out if it is the slave solenoid (not the one on top the starter), Jumper across the large contacts on the slave, if it cranks, it's the slave. If it does not it's probably the starter

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The diagram is Correct, so yer wirin' probably ain't,....

There's No ground wire to the starter, the starter grounds through the block,...

Artdude47

Cadet

Sorry, i mis-spoke the black cable that runs into the starter. Anyway, i belive the slave solenoid is in fact bad and i ordered a new one. I have just one more question. My starter says its wilson brand so i went to their website and it doesn't look like they make marine starters. Do they or do i need this replaced?