1998 Mercruiser 3.0 won't shift into reverse

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
photo.jpgI've got a 1998 Rinker that runs great and shifts into forward perfectly. However, when I attempt to shift it into reverse it is EXTREMELY difficult and the engine stalls out. Also, when I look back to check it out, the brass end on the cable is coming out of the plastic end and forming a sharp angle. (I'll see if I can get a picture up here soon)

What do you think, guys? If it were a shift cable, wouldn't it shift poorly in forward as well?

Regards,

Nate

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1998 Mercruiser 3.0 won't shift into reverse

View attachment 229502I've got a 1998 Rinker that runs great and shifts into forward perfectly. However, when I attempt to shift it into reverse it is EXTREMELY difficult and the engine stalls out. Also, when I look back to check it out, the brass end on the cable is coming out of the plastic end and forming a sharp angle. (I'll see if I can get a picture up here soon)

What do you think, guys? If it were a shift cable, wouldn't it shift poorly in forward as well?

Regards,

Nate

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The cable in yer picture is Broken, 'n needs replacin',...

At the top of this forum is Don'S Adults Only,....

In there you'll find all kinds of links to figure out what needs doin',...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

View attachment 229502I've got a 1998 Rinker that runs great and shifts into forward perfectly. However, when I attempt to shift it into reverse it is EXTREMELY difficult and the engine stalls out. Also, when I look back to check it out, the brass end on the cable is coming out of the plastic end and forming a sharp angle. (I'll see if I can get a picture up here soon)

Regards,

Nate

Howdy Nate,

Welcome aboard!

You need a new shift cable..........OR it's WAY out of adjustment!!

Pretty obvious in the picture!

It might go into forward because the cable is in tension. When you 'push' on the cable, it's in compression (and it appears to bend!)

Cheers,

Rick

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Its the control box cable and it needs to be replaced.