rust around spark plugs

forfun

Cadet
I have a 1986 mercruiser 170 and I noticed lot of rust around the spark plugs. I ran my finger around the plugs, I believe that is called sparkplug well, rust debri comes out. It comes off even when I scratched with bare finger. I took the plugs out and there is no rust inside. My concern is that some of the debry will fall in when i put in the new plugs. Any ideas on what is the best way to clean that rust and secondly how to prevent it from getting worst. I would have used a wire brush but it wont fit in there, it is a pretty tight place, just hoping some of you may have some creative ideas.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: rust around spark plugs

Get a small wire brush like a toothbrush and with the plugs still in hit the affected areas and shop vac the loose pieces or blow them out with compressed air,I think its a welders brush available at a hardware store.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Before you remove the plugs, just blow the debris out with a shot of compressed air...

Chris......

Disclaimer: Please use safety glasses/safety google/full face shield, gloves and appropriate clothing when working with compressed air... Your safety is YOUR responsibility....

forfun

Cadet

Unfortunately my air compressor went bad ffew months ago. I also tried the smallest wire brush i could find, but with the plugs in, couldnt get the brush in there.