prop hitting

tripplet

Recruit
I just installed my new prop on 1990 alpha 1 and test spin by hand and it was hitting a piece of metal behind the prop. removed prop and seen metal wedged into the cast alum housing sticking out enough to hit. checked old prop and seen grooves worn into back-side. easily removed from housing. any idea what this is? see pic below

Attachments

• boat piece.jpg
    boat piece.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: prop hitting

Exhaust shutter...need to have both(V6/8) replaced in exhaust rise as these prevent water entering engine on a sudden shut down...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

wow. that the freak is that thing? the only thing I'm aware of that props might hit is the anode fin... can you take a pic showing where that was sticking out of? your Alpha One should have Thrust Washer on prop shaft, then prop, locking nut, spider washer, nut sometimes with nylon locknut...dont know what that pic is of....never seen that before

Bondo

Staff member

I just installed my new prop on 1990 alpha 1 and test spin by hand and it was hitting a piece of metal behind the prop. removed prop and seen metal wedged into the cast alum housing sticking out enough to hit. checked old prop and seen grooves worn into back-side. easily removed from housing. any idea what this is? see pic below

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... At some point in time, yer motor was run without water flow, which burnt up that shutter,...

There's probably more parts 'n pieces 'tween that one, 'n where it lived, at the top of the exhaust down-pipe,....

Any history on when the impeller was last changed,..??

tripplet

Recruit

just bought boat 2 months ago and the seller ''says ,the impeller was changed last season'' but I have my doubts! the boat is a 1990 raven 3L, alpha one outdrive how much of a pain is this going to be to repair? want to put in water to see what else is screwed up.

alldodge

Staff member

just bought boat 2 months ago and the seller ''says ,the impeller was changed last season'' but I have my doubts! the boat is a 1990 raven 3L, alpha one outdrive how much of a pain is this going to be to repair? want to put in water to see what else is screwed up.

Easy enough, remove the exhaust elbow and boot. Once the items are removed you can get at where the flappers should be at.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_pictures3.asp?dnbr=816323 90&ivar=IMAGES/COMMON/8158.png&inbr=1604&bnbr=190&bdesc=Exhaust+System

Need to find the other half of the flapper in the exhaust pipe. After that put it back together and then change the impeller in the outdrive. See Don's Adults only section at the top of this section

and :welcome: to iboats

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral

Yep....you want to get that changed out, probably blocking part of your exhaust flow and who knows what else. Changed mine out a couple years back not that big a deal if you have a Mercruiser service manual, explains it all quite well. If you are going to do your own maintaince you will need one big time. it will answer most all your questions and how to's, and the good folks on here will add some helpful tips along the way.