Identify this part.

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1995 sea ray Mercrsuier 4.3L.

I pulled off my transom this year and doing all the seals, gimball etc.. This is the first time I've done all this, but after pulling everything this little guy was on the ground. Now normally I keep a pretty clean floor, but for the life of me I have no idea if this is part of what I'm working on.:confused: I can't find where it would go and I never unbolted it. It has a light carbon dusting on it and smells like exhaust, which lead me to believe it came down from the exhaust manifold somehow.

If it is part of the boat, what is it and where does it go? Needed?

On a side note, I occasionally work on cars in this stall and recently did a bunch of things on my expedition.

Maybe it came off that.

20140420_201924.jpg20140420_201928.jpg20140420_201935.jpg20140420_201940.jpg

:facepalm:

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identify this part.

Have never seen that in an engine or drive .

ziggy

Admiral

i've not seen that part either. but then i don't have a 95 v6 either....
fwiw. the carbon dusting ya see is similar to what my prop nut looks like after a years use. looks like a nut for a big bolt too. like a prop shaft? is it that big and does it fit the prop shaft? maybe a nut from an aftermarket prop lock?

best i can dream up for what i'm seeing. in other words a wag.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Almost looks like a hydraulic hose connector ................ that's my guess

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've not seen that part either. but then i don't have a 95 v6 either....
fwiw. the carbon dusting ya see is similar to what my prop nut looks like after a years use. looks like a nut for a big bolt too. like a prop shaft? is it that big and does it fit the prop shaft? maybe a nut from an aftermarket prop lock?

best i can dream up for what i'm seeing. in other words a wag.

It has the same carbon dusting as the inside of your prop. The nut is the the same thread as the shift cable. Thats what worried me but there are female threads on each side, so no way to attach. Took off prop before. Should have fallen off it then. Right now its just a standard hub mercury.

Almost looks like a hydraulic hose connector ................ that's my guess

Good guess. The inside has a rubber seal that two ends could come together.

Take a look at the starter bolt.Looks similar to that.Charlie

Another good guess, but its too large to go through the drain plug and I haven't touched anything from in there.

I think I need be even more cautious on whats on the floor before I start projects. If nobody recognizes it and its off a common alpha 1 gen 2 I'm assuming it doesn't belong.

I remember a friend replacing rubber flaps in the exhaust manifold that keeps water out of the engine, thought it may have come off of that and made its way through the bellows exhaust housing.

Anyways thanks for the help guys. Helps put my mind at ease. :sleeping:

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

its a thingamadoozle that goes on the whatchamacallit.. if left off it can cause a warp in the space time continuim. or it could be the wiggle pin that fell out of the wobble hole. hard to tell if its a titanium alloy with cinder block reinforcement on an exoskeleton of kryptonite.. but either way its not a part off of a ford that I have ever seen. and I worked as a technician at 2 different ford dealerships. so maybe something left in the bellows from the factory that someone just threw in there.

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

its a thingamadoozle that goes on the whatchamacallit.. if left off it can cause a warp in the space time continuim. or it could be the wiggle pin that fell out of the wobble hole. hard to tell if its a titanium alloy with cinder block reinforcement on an exoskeleton of kryptonite.. but either way its not a part off of a ford that I have ever seen. and I worked as a technician at 2 different ford dealerships. so maybe something left in the bellows from the factory that someone just threw in there.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::kev:

It fooled me for more time than its worth. It would be a hilarious prank to pull on someone from the factory. I swear my yard gnomes are up to this somehow...

MikDee

Banned

It looks like a 1/2" Rod Coupling. For fastening 2 pieces of 1/2" rod together, it could also be used as a long nut. From the pix, I couldn't tell if there's anymore to it?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

:D I know exactly what that is.... When Merc ship the engines the power steering hoses have nothing to screw into. They are hanging free as it were. The steering actuator is on the transom assembly. So, that little piece of plastic is to 'join' the hoses together and stop steering fluid leaking out everywhere... It's also great when running the engine outside the boat, because the steering pump is constant displacement, and the fluid needs to be circulated, you can't 'dead-head' those pumps without destroying them....

When the engine is installed, that should have been put in a bag and handed to the owner (along with the installation manual and any other packing materials). It's then re-usable if you need to pull the engine out. You undo the hoses and screw them into that plastic 'coupler'...

Chris.....

Last edited:

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:D I know exactly what that is.... When Merc ship the engines the power steering hoses have nothing to screw into. They are hanging free as it were. The steering actuator is on the transom assembly. So, that little piece of plastic is to 'join' the hoses together and stop steering fluid leaking out everywhere... It's also great when running the engine outside the boat, because the steering pump is constant displacement, and the fluid needs to be circulated, you can't 'dead-head' those pumps without destroying them....

When the engine is installed, that should have been put in a bag and handed to the owner (along with the installation manual and any other packing materials). It's then re-usable if you need to pull the engine out. You undo the hoses and screw them into that plastic 'coupler'...

Chris.....

Thank you Chris! Sanity is fully restored. That little guy must have been just chillin in the bellows all this time. Covered in carbon.

I'm assuming the little nubs indicate what side the hose is supposed to stay on?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There are 2 hoses on the power steering actuator, one hose goes in one end of the coupler, the other hoses goes in the other end. You can't mix them up, the threads are different sizes....