Shifting into forward needs adjustment

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

I have an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive, with the shift assist on the shift plate on the engine. (3.0L Mercruiser)

When I shift into reverse gear, it is pretty much instant with a dull clunk as the gear engages, all good.

When I go into forward gear however there is a lot of clunking, like something is trying to engage but slipping, and once the revs hit about 1800 it will catch. This obviously made docking quite interesting for the first day out after winter.

Is this something I can correct by adjusting the shift cable? Following this guide? http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/tech-specs/alpha-shift-adjust.pdf

The drive is on and the boat is now in the water till winter (but it does dry out on a low tide if I need someone to go hold the prop)

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifting into forward needs adjustment

Hi,

I have an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive, with the shift assist on the shift plate on the engine. (3.0L Mercruiser)

When I shift into reverse gear, it is pretty much instant with a dull clunk as the gear engages, all good.

When I go into forward gear however there is a lot of clunking, like something is trying to engage but slipping, and once the revs hit about 1800 it will catch. This obviously made docking quite interesting for the first day out after winter.

Is this something I can correct by adjusting the shift cable? Following this guide? http://www.perfprotech.com/store/app_themes/ppt/images/tech-specs/alpha-shift-adjust.pdf

The drive is on and the boat is now in the water till winter (but it does dry out on a low tide if I need someone to go hold the prop)

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Go ahead, 'n Try it,...

JerseyBoater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Shifting into forward needs adjustment

Ok thanks, at least I'm looking in the right place and not going to mask the problem. I'll hopefully be back at the boat on Thursday to have a go.