Alpha one gen 1 shift cable brass bolt thread

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi!

I removed the brass bolt which was stuck and I thought it would be good to fix the threads a little bit with a tap.

Question is:

Which tap I need to buy?

1/4 x 18 NPT or 1/4 x 18 NPS

Thanks!

Re: Alpha one gen 1 shift cable brass bolt thread

Are you referring to the threads on the end of the shift cable at the engine? I don't know what thread size they are but I do know they are not NPT.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you are referring to the brass BARREL at the end of the lower shift cable, then it is 'stuck' on purpose. It is suppose to be that way. It is not suppose to be moved... Now your adjustment is out, and you are going to have to go through the complete adjustment procedure....

Chris...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Thinking you mean the nut you see in the gimbal housing where the shift cable is.1/4 x 18 NPSF
Untitled14_zps80298c4c.jpg

Last edited:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, double post.

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NPT / NPS thread taps aren't available here in Finland. Well okay, sure you can get them, but the price is huge due to they are very rare here. UNC/UNF taps are commonly used here or some Whitworth threads.

Bondo

Staff member

NPT / NPS thread taps aren't available here in Finland. Well okay, sure you can get them, but the price is huge due to they are very rare here. UNC/UNF taps are commonly used here or some Whitworth threads.

Ayuh,... Don't feel bad, they're pretty darn rare 'round here too,....

Not common at All,..

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I see.

Could someone elucidate me a little - what does 1/4 x 18 mean? I know 18 means threads per inch, but 1/4"? The diameter of the tap is more like 1/2" if you ask me... if you measure from peak..

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, I see.

Could someone elucidate me a little - what does 1/4 x 18 mean? I know 18 means threads per inch, but 1/4"? The diameter of the tap is more like 1/2" if you ask me... if you measure from peak..

Ayuh,.... It's the diameter of 1/4" Pipe,...
'n of course the 18 is threads per inch,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That's the one you need.
Commonly called 1/4 inch pipe plug tap. This is the same size as the ones on the fuel sep filter housings.They are "tapered " threads.
You could IF YOUR VERY CAREFUL grind off the last few threads of a 1/4 inch pipe plug tap and use that . But if you guess wrong and leave to much thread on the tap you will create a taper thread that will ruin the housing.
The are additional sizes, such as 1/8 inch pipe plug, diameter wise its more like 1/4 inch diameter. commonly found in heat exchangers, exaust manifolds , sometimes engine blocks. Next is the 1/2 inch pipe plugs nornmally the drain plug at the transom. Then 3/4, 1 inch, etc.
Might want to print these for reference
Machinist Pipe Thread Tap - Drill Size Chart ANSI - Engineers Edge
http://http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm
Fractions to Decimals
http://www.heatinghelp.com/images/posts/8340/resize_Pipe Sizing Chart Basic.jpg

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

No, the one you ordered is the one you need . In a pinch ,you can remove the last few threads from a !/4 x 18 NPT tapered tap .
I made it years ago before I could get the merc tool.
DSCN2392_zps03d5c071.jpg

Last edited:

Jussi-T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks for the tip!

Have been searching for this tap throughout the week, have asked many many local hydraulics shops but none of them had it... :D So I had to order it all the way from China :D

It is amazing how cheap it is to order stuff from China, For example this tap cost about 10 USD and free delivery. The taps seemed to be pretty cheap in the states too but shipping is much more expensive... Well, I hope the China quality is good enough in this case :D

Thanks for help guys!! This forum is THE BEST!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Be careful with stuff coming out of China. For machine tools, like taps, die-nuts and drill bits, the metals tend to be a bit on the soft side. In this case you'll be ok because you're only using the tap to clean up an existing thread, and it's aluminium... But if you were to try and cut a new thread in a piece of steel, might be a different (sad) story....

Chris.....