350 Chevy Starter motor on Mercruiser

Darv15

Recruit
Hi Guys,
I have been having no end of trouble with my ski boat starting, I was told when i bought the boat that it was a standard 350 Chevy block but have since been told that it is a Mercruiser. We have had issues with the starter motor grinding on the flywheel. We have changed the starter motor and flywheel both three times each. This has made no difference, we have tried shimming the the starter motor and measured correct clearance. What i am thinking is maybe the spacing on the Mercruiser and the Chevy may be different but that is just me spitballing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 350 Chevy Starter motor on Mercruiser

Hi there, welcome to iboats!:) Do you by chance know what year the engine is? Any photos you can post to help get an visual idea.

cr2k

Captain

Even though it is Mercruiser it is a chevy engine that has been marinized. However if the engine is covered you must use a marine starter to be legal and not risk blowing up. What this sounds like is the block may have been misdrilled for the starter. Also when replacing the starter even if you just took it off to look at it Merc sez brand new bolts every time. The bolts are knurled to position the starter correctly.
If you have been reusing bolts this may be part of the problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

welcome aboard.

your mercruiser is a GM motor. As stated, the starter needs to be J1171 certified for marine use. other than that, the block, flywheel, crank, etc. are all the same as what is found in many trucks and industrial motors.

when you are replacing the starter, are you also installing the rear starter bracket? could it be that your starter mounting ear is cracked?

What year of motor? v-drive or outdrive? post serial numbers if you can.

MikDee

Banned

Car starter can go BOOM! :eek: It's not shielded for sparks.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you replacing with new starters or rebuilts?