Starter/solenoid issues

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Transom serial number is OL287387. Drive seal number is OL406238, Engine number is 0L097202. I have a Bayliner 2052LS Capri. 1999 3.0l GM engine with Mercruiser Alpha 1 Drive.

I'm having starting issues with my engine. At first I thought it was just a flat battery because it would click but not crank. I recharged the battery, and the spare, but got the same result, even when using jumper cables on two fully charged battery's. After giving the starter a few thumps with a hide mallot it kicked into life. Ten minutes of engine warming later, I switched it off and got the same again when I tried to restart. So I'm going to remove the starter and solenoid unit, strip it all down, clean the brushes etc and hope the contacts are not to pitted. If the unit has gone the way of the Dodo, then where can I get hold of another unit? I can't find any serial numbers on it, so I'm hoping you guys can help me.....again! All the best. Mike.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starter/solenoid issues

Transom serial number is OL287387. Drive seal number is OL406238, Engine number is 0L097202. I have a Bayliner 2052LS Capri. 1999 3.0l GM engine with Mercruiser Alpha 1 Drive.

I'm having starting issues with my engine. At first I thought it was just a flat battery because it would click but not crank. I recharged the battery, and the spare, but got the same result, even when using jumper cables on two fully charged battery's. After giving the starter a few thumps with a hide mallot it kicked into life. Ten minutes of engine warming later, I switched it off and got the same again when I tried to restart. So I'm going to remove the starter and solenoid unit, strip it all down, clean the brushes etc and hope the contacts are not to pitted. If the unit has gone the way of the Dodo, then where can I get hold of another unit? I can't find any serial numbers on it, so I'm hoping you guys can help me.....again! All the best. Mike.

Ayuh,.... Have ya Cleaned to shiny metal Clean, ALL the connections from the battery to the solenoids, to the starter,..??

If not, start there,....
Then slather 'em with Grease to keep 'em that way,...

I gotta believe there Marine rated Chevy starters available on yer side of the pond,..??...
They only come in 2 flavors, straight across bolts, 'n the staggered bolt pattern,...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Those types of problems are frequently related to poor/corroded and/or loose connections either in battery cables, especially ground connections.

But if it turns out to be a solenoid, Google is your friend I suppose..............

I would usually replace a solenoid instead of taking it apart and filing contacts etc........... so you could start here: solenoid

Regards,

Rick

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, my next question is this then, if it's probably corroded connections, why does it work with a good mallet slap? Cheers. M.

cr2k

Captain

Yer brushes are probably corroded in the guides and the slap loosens em up a bit. Is there any where there that can rebuild a starter?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I would start with cleaning every connection from the battery to the starter and block. if that doesnt work, then pull the starter.

poping the end cover off will let you know the status of the brushes, etc. sometimes condensation from cold temps will cause rust and corrosion inside the starter.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys, my next question is this then, if it's probably corroded connections, why does it work with a good mallet slap? Cheers. M.

Well, if you're "slapping" the solenoid with a mallet, it's burned contacts that are briefly making contact when you 'disturb' it.

If it's the starter, like indicated above, you're disturbing the brushes and/or commutator.

After cleaning/tightening your connections, remove the starter and disassemble it.

You could actually clean up the inside of it too, use a little (fine) emery-cloth on the commutator and brushes (if there's anything left of them)

When you get the start apart, use some mineral spirits to clean it up after you remove rust, lube the bushings, reassemble etc.

You may need to replace the brushes. Also, if you're not familiar with a starter rebuild, have a look on Youtube. There's several videos outlining how to clean up and/or rebuild a starter..... It's not "Rocket-Surgery".

Otherwise, take it down to an auto-electric rebuilder and have them rebuild it for you.

Regards,

Rick