No spark from coil

MyOldClunker

Recruit
I have a 1977 merc 120 inboard. Can't same to get any spark from the cool to the distributor or plugs. Just upgraded the points to the Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition and also replaced the coil. Not sure where to
Go from here

MikDee

Banned
Re: No spark from coil

Does it crank over? Have you got power going into the coil, from the switch? Test the small pos + terminal for power.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1977 merc 120 inboard. Can't same to get any spark from the cool to the distributor or plugs. Just upgraded the points to the Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition and also replaced the coil. Not sure where to
Go from here

Ayuh,.... Go over what ya did, it can't be right,....

The points fire the coil,... Is there Power at the coil's (+) terminal, with the key "On",..??

MyOldClunker

Recruit

It does turn over. Seems to kinda drag when it does. I will check to see on the coil getting power

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it possible that the the little piece that slides on to the dist. shaft is not down all the way, and the rotor is not seated because of this?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

No. There is no power to the coil with the key on.

Check the resistance wire... Check you have power to the 'I' terminal on the back of the key... Depending on the wiring system used at the time, could be a Purple wire or a white wire...

Try running (as a temporary test ONLY) a wire directly from the battery to the coil +...

Chris....