Water In Out drive. merc

Minz06

Cadet
Well... im pretty inexperienced with boats and i bought one anyway! sooooo when i had a friend help me winterize the motor we drained the out drive oil and sure enough water had gotten in there. so we put new fresh oil in and stored it. now with spring approaching and my girl friend driving me nuts about going on the boat, i need to know what to do! i have been looking at Pressure Testers and im thinking thats the way to go? how much psi, how long do i leave it pressurized,spray soapy water, spin the prop??... ext... tips tricks??? thanks everyone!

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Water In Out drive. merc

Pressurize it at 15psi for around 15 minutes or so. It should hold if things are right. Use soapy water in a spray bottle to find any leaks. Was there any water in your bellows?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

when you winterized it last...... did you drain the water out of the engine block and manifold? can you give a little background on when you obtained the boat, what kind of boat, what engine and drive? that would be helpful......

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Let us know what you're working on so this thread can be put in the proper section, Volvo, Mercrusier etc.......

oldjeep

Admiral

Let us know what you're working on so this thread can be put in the proper section, Volvo, Mercrusier etc.......

Well, since the title says "Water In Out drive. merc " ;)