Engine & Outdrive questions

koolkatprez

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1975 19' Beachcraft w/a Mercruiser 305-228hp engine and outdrive. I don't know what model outdrive I have. The numbers on it are 5096962 and 1.50R. It simply says Mercruiser.

There was water in the oil in the engine and I drained it all out & put in fresh oil. Plugs were removed, cleaned, and regapped to .035. Cap, rotor, condenser, wires are all new. I hooked the flush tool to the outdrive turned on the water and the engine fired it right up and it runs like a champ but when it got to 190 degrees it appeared to be smoking a little on the port side of the engine. I made the mistake yesterday of running it for about a minute or so without water to the outdrive so I think I fried the impeller.

Rechecking the dipstick I noted milky oil again. Also checking the outdrive it seemed to get hot on the sides and top. Is that due to exhaust or the impeller being fried? I can use all the help I can get...the boat looks like it was kept in a garage all it's life. Really nice inside and out...HELP

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Engine & Outdrive questions

Sounds like a few things are wrong. The milky oil could be cracked block from bad winterization, head gasket or intake gasket. I would bet on block at this time of year. The exhaust parts need to be checked out since it was run without water.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Water is getting into oil somehow. Probably through a cracked block. Running the engine without water for a minute or so has likely ruined the impeller at the very least.

MikDee

Banned

If it's original, You have an early Mercruiser type 1 Drive. I believe because it was a 1st. generation drive.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Water is getting into oil somehow. Probably through a cracked block. Running the engine without water for a minute or so has likely ruined the impeller at the very least.

+1 I hope your handy.......replacement parts readily available, the engine is the "part" you dont want to replace..........