Mercruiser Engine/Drive ID

EMTJEEP

Seaman Apprentice
I recently got a 1977 Formula 20-cl with a mercruiser setup. I was only able to get a couple pictures and a couple serial numbers off the boat before my phone died. I was hoping if anyone could take a look at the pictures and serial numbers and give me an idea of what I have. I know it's a GM V8 but don't know the exact type. And I think I have a MC-1 drive based off of the thread about Misc Mercruiser info.

Thanks for the help!!

28r1a2f.jpg

sqntsp.jpg

1yuvs0.jpg

2yzl8cm.jpg

EMTJEEP

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser Engine/Drive ID

Here's the whole engine.

There was water up to the bottom of the Alternator. There was really no sign of water in the oil when I looked at the dipstick and everything turns so it's not seized. What should be some first things I should do when i get out of the dry dock and start working on it?
9v9nk4.jpg

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

It looks like a TR drive with the plate on the rear of the upper like that.

EMTJEEP

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like a TR drive with the plate on the rear of the upper like that.

Looking back at the Drive ID on the Misc Merc info. I notice the drive is a little more different than the MC-1. I just noticed the pointed tip and rounded off anti-vent plate that were similar.

Couldn't find much about the TR drive on a google search, is that a decent setup? I know nothing about I/O boats and have only worked on outboards.

thumpar

Admiral

The TR is a stout setup but hasn't been made in a long time. The main difference you will find between it and the Alpha or Bravo style is that the shifting is done in a transmission in the boat and not in the drive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

atleast change the starter, and the power steering fluid. that was under water, motor appears to be GM, edge bolts on the valve covers would make
it 70`s ish, manual range is 63-77, engine mounted raw water pump,
Try to locate a copy of manual 1 or 2 can burn both if needed. motor for that period were 283, 327, 350.
Drive can be anything from: MER 3, 215H,215E,Mer II TR
The cast aluminum valve covers command a great price

Last edited:

EMTJEEP

Seaman Apprentice

Surprisingly there was no sign of water in the power steering even though it was completely under water. Going to change all the fluids and filters and get new starter, alternator and belt for it. Also going to need to change out the hydraulic fluids too since they were super gunky when I check them out.

Would it a manual #2 since the boat is a '77? The only spot where I have the service manuals online is the boatinfo.no website the Merc Info thread had. But it is hard to read because of the layout.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What you have is a 1976 '280TRS'. It's a GM 350 engine (280hp) and a TR-S drive, with a 1.5:1 ratio. And you are correct with manual #2. HERE is a link to a downloadable copy....

Chris.....

Last edited:

EMTJEEP

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you both achris and Bt Doctur!!

Now that I've been told what I have is there anything I should look at particular to these models I have? Or what should be looked at before trying to start it for the first time in years, besides changing the fluids/filters and starter/alternator?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Take very good care of it because parts ARE RARER then Hens teeth