Shift cable. Is my location correct.

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 4.3L Merc alpha 1 gen 2. 1995.

I am currently replacing my shift cable. Pulled out the previous one with string attached. When I attached to new cable it broke, of course. I have read the manuals and gotten put the cable in the current placement the best to my understanding/interpretation. I was unable to find any loops/hooks while climbing behind my engine for the cable to feed through.

When I was able to feel back there it the ?red? seems very close to the drive shaft ?blue?. Even though it?s wrapped around the exhaust manifold it seems that it could move 2 inches and catch the bleeder screw on the drive shaft doing some serious damage. Maybe it?s supposed to be that way, but it just seems very close that it would at least rub on the shaft.

Is this normal or am I missing a slot to feed this through?

Sorry in advance for the crude drawing.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Mercruiser 4.3.jpg
    Mercruiser 4.3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Shift cable. Is my location correct.

That looks about right to me....

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Chris, I cant tell from op photo if cable goes between exhaust pipe and transom, then around, or past the y pipe then around toward transom. Thats why i linked the pic you posted in an old thread

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The cable comes out of the transom plate at a level above the Y-pipe, so the cable goes over it before turning to starboard and down to go around it. Hope that makes sense. It then comes up and goes BEHIND the power steering actuator before heading forward to mount on the shift plate.

Chris.....

Ed, nice to see you out of your winter slumber... :)

RSVRMAN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks a lot guys! That helps a lot with the explanation. Thanks for the attachment as well. It was a much clearer version than the one I was using. I do not have the flat plate piece that's on the exhaust that it shows, but I have extra protective sleeves that can go on those areas.