Stuck Throttle last season...cant duplicate on trailer

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone,

I was having a few issues with an intermittent stuck throttle toward the end of last season and have that on my list of things to fix as I'm summerizing my boat. I made a small and very minor adjustment by tightening a screw on my throttle and now I cant seem to duplicate the issue on the trailer when the boat is hooked up to the muffs. I'm not 100% convinced I fixed anything but want to avoid finding out I still have the problem in the middle of the lake if at all possible. I'd also like to minimize the amount of time my prop is spinning on the trailer for safety reasons.

Is there a trick to checking this?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck Throttle last season...cant duplicate on trailer

stuck throttle has nothing to do with the prop spinning in neutral? What screw on the throttle?

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry for the confusion...the prop isnt spinning when the boat is in neutral. I just want to minimize the amount of time the boat is in gear while on the trailer.

There's a screw just above the neutral button that I made a minor adjustment on. It made the throttle feel a little tighter..but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the shifting or is just aesthetic.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

that's a friction adjustment screw to hold the set throttle position. Check around the carb , throttle body or the TPS .You don't tell what type of engine or carb,efi,mpi
Is this a stuck throttle " coming out of gear"

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, its stuck when coming out of gear. 5.7L Mercruiser Alpha I, quadrajet carb.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep, its stuck when coming out of gear. 5.7L Mercruiser Alpha I, quadrajet carb.

Ayuh,.... Then it's the Shift cable, 'n Not the throttle cable,....

My guess is the Shift Switch, where the forward cable meets the lower cable, is bad, or disconnected,...