1987 Alpha One- Lower unit ?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a 1987 Alpha One,, last fall drifted into rocks on St Lawrence River fishing,, bent aluminum prop slightly, pounded it out with about 2 hits, was not severe, put a small dig into anode fin, did not notice any problems rest of year running boat,, I just bought a Michigan Match 4 blade, put it on the other day, spun tested it,, seemed to wobble just slightly out of balance,, put the original Solas back on and was fine... would seem to me if the drive shaft was bent the Solas would have wobbled too....... Ive got another Michigan Match coming in as I thought the one going back was out of balance... if I have the same issue, would replacing the lower unit be the best approach, or just the prop shaft? I've reviewed material on replacement,, if I get a new lower unit, are they plug and play? put in forward gear, remove and re-install new unit? thanks for input...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 Alpha One- Lower unit ?

I've got a 1987 Alpha One,, last fall drifted into rocks on St Lawrence River fishing,, bent aluminum prop slightly, pounded it out with about 2 hits, was not severe, put a small dig into anode fin, did not notice any problems rest of year running boat,, I just bought a Michigan Match 4 blade, put it on the other day, spun tested it,, seemed to wobble just slightly out of balance,, put the original Solas back on and was fine... would seem to me if the drive shaft was bent the Solas would have wobbled too....... Ive got another Michigan Match coming in as I thought the one going back was out of balance... if I have the same issue, would replacing the lower unit be the best approach, or just the prop shaft? I've reviewed material on replacement,, if I get a new lower unit, are they plug and play? put in forward gear, remove and re-install new unit? thanks for input...

Ayuh,.... Take the prop, Off, to look for the bent prop shaft,... focus on it's center, to a known solid point,....

If it Is bent, a new SEI is 'bout the same money, or cheaper than gettin' yer's fixed,...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

k, thanks will check and get back... I've got a Alpha One Gen 1 I assume??? 1987... will pull and clean up,, will take a sharpie and make dot,, spin it, and look for wobble or not...

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

will check it out, ,thanks! gonna put marker dot on end of drive shaft and spin her tonight to see if it still looks like a dot or a big blurry wobbly dot.. thanks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for tip bondo how to check. Spun prop focused on smallest inner circle on end of shaft. No wobble there..that match prop must have been out of balance