Mercruiser 3.0L LX - Starter Solenoid?

BigOtis

Cadet
Hey guys, got a question about starting the engine on my 1997 Regal. Its a mercruiser 3.0L engine. When I turn the ignition switch key I get one click from engine. I turn key back to off, then back to start and the engine fires right up. It will do this ALMOST everytime when trying to start. I can do it over and over and it will click once then go back to off then back to start and it cranks? The battery is new. The grounds are good. Is this a starter or solenoid issue or maybe another problem? Thanks. BigOtis

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L LX - Starter Solenoid?

MUST HAVE Technical Information for DIYers, at the top of the forum.....#6. Follow what's in there and you will know exactly what has failed...

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys, got a question about starting the engine on my 1997 Regal. Its a mercruiser 3.0L engine. When I turn the ignition switch key I get one click from engine. I turn key back to off, then back to start and the engine fires right up. It will do this ALMOST everytime when trying to start. I can do it over and over and it will click once then go back to off then back to start and it cranks? The battery is new. The grounds are good. Is this a starter or solenoid issue or maybe another problem? Thanks. BigOtis

Ayuh,.... Probably corroded wirin' ends,....

BigOtis

Cadet

Thanks Guys, a great resource in that last link. This site rocks. I appreciate all the good help.

Thanks,
BigOtis