5.0LX V8 Alpha 1 - Missing Shift Interrupter Switch

gregk101

Cadet
Recently purchased 1990 Maxum 21' BR with 5.0LX Mercruiser I/O, Alpha One, Thunderbolt Ignition.
Replaced shift cable, and worked fine with muffs on. First time on the water yesterday, and it would not go back to neutral unless turned off engine from both forward and reverse. Researched this when I got back in, and seems like the shift interrupter switch is bad, so I go out to look at it, and find it's been removed by previous owner. My questions are: was this engine designed with a switch. Where is does the switch wires connect to? and is it better to purchase the #864363A1 Shift Plate Kit, or ok to replace with the original switch if I can find? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: 5.0LX V8 Alpha 1 - Missing Shift Interrupter Switch

Try to get OEM replacement to get back to specs. Sounds like you bought this boat without a test drive? Pretty risky! What else was not checked? Impeller? Drive oil? Filters? Time for the routine stuff.:clock:

gregk101

Cadet
Re: 5.0LX V8 Alpha 1 - Missing Shift Interrupter Switch

Yep. I bought it without test drive, however, I checked things as much as possible, and only paid $1000 for it with a good galvanized trailer. Already replaced the shift cable, impeller kit, and recirculation pump myself, all of which I new needed done before I bought. Motor runs fine, with the exception of the switch issue. Today, I ordered the original switch from a local marine liquidator for $20, so I'm going to see if that solves the issue. Info: Engine Serial Number: 0C760930