Mercruiser 230 I/O (Ford 351 Windsor) Valve clearance

sdman67

Cadet
I have a 1976-77 Mercruiser 230 I/O with a Ford 351 Windsor that I have rebuilt and am having problems getting it running. The timing has to be advanced like 30 degree for it to run at all and it runs real rough at that. I had the heads done by a knuckle-head shop, that I found out too late, didn't have a clue. When I do the valve to rocker arm clearance check as described in the manual I'm getting a gap of like .308 (the max. is .183). I believe the longer push rods used to close this gap only come +.060 which if that's the case the longer push rods won't be of any help to fix this problem. Before I tear the top end back off I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything and get the input of anyone with experience with these engines.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 230 I/O (Ford 351 Windsor) Valve clearance

the rocker nuts are torqued to 20ft/lbs then you check the pushrod gap collapsing the lifter fully.
You saying your getting almost 5/16 ths gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I have a 1976-77 Mercruiser 230 I/O with a Ford 351 Windsor that I have rebuilt and am having problems getting it running. The timing has to be advanced like 30 degree for it to run at all and it runs real rough at that. I had the heads done by a knuckle-head shop, that I found out too late, didn't have a clue. When I do the valve to rocker arm clearance check as described in the manual I'm getting a gap of like .308 (the max. is .183). I believe the longer push rods used to close this gap only come +.060 which if that's the case the longer push rods won't be of any help to fix this problem. Before I tear the top end back off I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything and get the input of anyone with experience with these engines.

To be at 30 degrees advance to run my first thought is either the plug wires are incorrectly installed or the timing chain gears were not installed correctly. I am assuming this is the usual carb engine

sdman67

Cadet

the rocker nuts are torqued to 20ft/lbs then you check the pushrod gap collapsing the lifter fully.
You saying your getting almost 5/16 ths gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem.

That's correct.

sdman67

Cadet

To be at 30 degrees advance to run my first thought is either the plug wires are incorrectly installed or the timing chain gears were not installed correctly. I am assuming this is the usual carb engine

Everything was checked and double checked except this valve clearance before I started it up. Everything checks out except this valve clearance.

brand new OEM 2 barrel carberator.

haulnazz15

Captain

You have a 233, not a 230, BTW.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class

Push rods come in a ton of different lengths and can be ordered in any length if you call someone like CompCams. Best way to determine the correct size is to pick up an adjustable pushrod from Summit or Jegs. Once you know the right length you can order from there. I don't like the added distance that showed up, it's almost 1/8unch off from max spec. This has be comcerened what was machined off to cause that much variation. Also with Regards to the timing, have you verified the balancer hasn't slipped?

haulnazz15

Captain

Unless they used different push rods than the ones that you gave them (or what came with the engine), I don't see how the gap could have gotten longer? They would have had to use a really thick head gasket to increase the deck height, or the lifters are wrong.