Leg / prop hit a sand bar.

Lendavies13

Recruit
I hit a sandbar today at very low speed. I was stuck for a moment aland was able to free myself. Immediately after I couldn't get the Roma up or any momentum. The boat was shaking badly while I was in forward or reverse with leg up or down. Ultimately the engine stopped and I couldn't restart it.

Did I suck mud in the cooling system ?

Did I screw my motor. ?

Or maybe I just bent the prop.

Any ideas would be helpful!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Leg / prop hit a sand bar.

Did I suck mud in the cooling system ? Most likely if the motor was running, enough to damage the water pump

Did I screw my motor. ? Depends on how much mud you tried to put thru it getting un-stuck. I have seen exaust manifolds filled with sand and mud in the thermostat housing.

Or maybe I just bent the prop. Depends on the speed and hardness of the bottom , pull the boat and check it.

superbenk

Commander

I'd plan on replacing the impeller & probably check to see if you spun the prop on its hub.

alldodge

Staff member

I hit a sandbar today at very low speed. I was stuck for a moment aland was able to free myself. Immediately after I couldn't get the Roma up or any momentum. The boat was shaking badly while I was in forward or reverse with leg up or down. Ultimately the engine stopped and I couldn't restart it.

Did I suck mud in the cooling system ?

Did I screw my motor. ?

Or maybe I just bent the prop.

Any ideas would be helpful!!!

:welcome: to iboats, wish is could be under better circumstances

Pull the boat out and check the prop and prop shaft for damage. When you try to start does the engine turn over? If it's locked up the drive probably has some major damage. Pull the drive and split in half to get at the impeller and inspect.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

When you state it wouldnt restart! Do you mean it cranks and wont start or it wont crank likes its locked up?

Lendavies13

Recruit

When you state it wouldnt restart! Do you mean it cranks and wont start or it wont crank likes its locked up?

Yes It turns over fine.

Just won't fire and it's always fired within a couple seconds.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes It turns over fine.

Just won't fire and it's always fired within a couple seconds.

Ayuh,.... What motor,..?? What drive,..?? What Vintage,..??