Motor oil milky

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor oil milky

Yes I used a piece of wire to clear all the drain valves, no nvr had had a prob w overheating, she warms up ad has always ran around 175 I believe it is on the gauge. So how does the block still crack w antifreeze in it like someone says happens a lot? Where else would the water b hiding and not mixing. Thanks

thumpar

Admiral

Why did you use antifreeze and what kind did you use?

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I followed the threads here and asked questions and majority of responses was to use antifreeze. I used the tv and marine I think it said, it was pink and good to -45 below. I won't have the chance to take it anywhere to get checked til late this week or next, but isn't there a chance it's coming from somewhere else ?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So how does the block still crack w antifreeze in it like someone says happens a lot? Where else would the water b hiding and not mixing. Thanks

Most of the problems occur when someone doesn't fully drain the block. Just pouring AF in an engine that hasn't been fully drained will not always mix the AF to a sufficient concentration in areas still pooled with water.

Also, some people have tried to draw up AF into an engine by running it on "MUFFS". Of course, it doesn't get much mixed in the block because the T-stat doesn't open fully. Since the AF "mix' in the block doesn't get to enough of a concentration to prevent freezing, the block cracks when the temp gets low enough.

The bottom line is, if there's NO water in the block, ice cannot form. Pouring AF in then serves no purpose except maybe to make one feel better....

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i fully understand and agree on what your saying but i opened and poked all drains, water ran out in a good full stream, pulled every hose and even left the drains open for a couple hours as i had to leave for a while. While i am going to keep some hope that its not trashed until i can take it in, I just wonder what could i have done differently and how much water could have been left to not mix w 3 gallons of antifreeze. Thanks again im goin nuts here, it was 70 when i found the milky oil and 30's and snow today so i haven't been able to finish changing oil and run on muffs to see what happens. also what is the best way to make sure i get all the bad oil out of the pan? i use the hand pump thru the dipstick.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you did everything correctly, so change the oil and filter and run it and see what happens. Run it long enough to get it up to operating temperature to drive any remaining moisture out of the oil.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

what is the best way to make sure i get all the bad oil out of the pan? i use the hand pump thru the dipstick.

You may have to change the oil a couple of times to get it all. A tiny bit left in the pan won't hurt anything. Once you're able to run the engine (and oil) at full operating temp, the rest will evaporate out completely.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

What's the serial number of your engine? Perhaps you missed a drain?

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where would I find the serial number? The original motor was a 5.0 and the guy I bought it from put the 5.7 in. Would there be more than 4 drains?

scott8058

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's finally gonna warm up a bit and I'm hoping thurs or fri to try the fresh oil

Walt T

Lieutenant

Poor ol' Scott probly all puckered up now and ain't gonna be able to have a BM until he starts that puppy up. Good work guys!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Poor ol' Scott probly all puckered up now and ain't gonna be able to have a BM until he starts that puppy up. Good work guys!
Yeah........We should just tell him "Everythings Fine" ..........Much better to find out there's a problem on the summer vacation trip!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Been following...Let us know how it turns out.

BTW..We had a cold dip in weather last night... down to 24 Deg and i had started the boat over the weekend 70ish, i hadn't drained the block yet....So last night after work (41 Deg)... i drained the 2 manifold/2 block drains and got about 3 to 4 gallons of water.......I had cut the top of a antifreeze jug down to catch the water so my bildge wouldn't fill up with water...... Poured the water outa the jug into a 5 gallon bucket and it filled it allmost 3/4 the way up.....the boats in the garage and i didn't want water all over the floor!