Broken Wire tying to trace it

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all trying to trace a wire on my motor not sure what the wire goes to it is broke here on this pic
20140411_185743.jpg

and I think but not sure if it goes here or what it is for I think it may be for my trim
20140411_185629.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broken Wire tying to trace it

Correct, its for the trim gauge connects to the bottom lug,

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct, its for the trim gauge connects to the bottom lug,

thanks what do you mean bottom lug and how is to change that wire basically how difficult is to replace

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

nothing special connecting the trim gauge wires to the block. the top lug with the black wire is boltedf to the plate, this provides a ground. the bottom lug is isolated ,this is where the other wire connects.
Replacement of trim limit or trim sender requires removal of the drive, and main bellows In there you remove 1 or 2 bolts, the retainer plate, and pull the wire harness out. There is a molded section on each harness that when mated together form a seal.See page 4B-51 in here
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14b4.pdf

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great thanks for your help sounds like a big job for one wire lol now am I going to be able to just replace the wire or do I have to replace that round black thing on the out drive to what's it called a trim sender i think thanks again

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great thank you sound like a big job for one wire lol now can I just replace the wire or do I have to replace that black round unit on the out drive to what is that called the trim sender i think
thanks again

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol sorry the first time I thought it didn't post guess it did

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You can't replace just the wire. It comes as part of the trim sender. Many people have tried to replace just the wire. It doesn't work, as the wire assembly also has the sealing shell cast as part of it... You buy a trim sender kit, comprises of the trim position sender (starboard side) and the trim limit switch (port side)... Personally, I don't find it a difficult job, just time consuming and a bit fiddly... It's best to remove the drive and pull the hinge pins to help with access to the port the wires pass though.... Other than that, piece of cake... ;)

Chris.......

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to no thanks Chris now time to go shopping for one or two do they come as a set

trucker28

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another quick question to make sure we are on the same page is this trim sender is it for my trim to make the prop go up and down or is it for the gauge on the dashboard or is it for both thanks again Mike

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If you lool at the manual link it will show you , the trim sender has T.S. on it and the trim limit has T.L. on it.
trim sender is for the gauge, trim limit allows the drive to only raise up just so much, then the trailer button takes over.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Those white spots were caused by 12V getting into the water from the broken trim sender wire.There is a way to prevent that by modifying the wiring.
Right now there is 12v any time the key switch is in the "on" position going to the trim gauge. All you need are 2 small diodes from radio shack wired into the circuit to allow power to the trim gauge only when the trim button is activated.
You remove the 12v power wire from the gauge and tape securely. Go to the trim wires by the control box and locate the blue and green wires. install the diode in the direction to pass voltage from the blue wire and another diode to the green wire. join the 2 wires together and connect to the 12v lug on the trim gauge.
Now when you hit the trim button you power the gauge thru the diodes.

Last edited: