470 Alternator Conversion

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I was thinking of converting to an alternator while I have the front of the engine apart for water pump seal replacement. This way I would not have to go back in later to remove the stator.

What is the cheapest way to do this? Is there a DIY option or do I have to buy a kit for $300 to $500.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 470 Alternator Conversion

Breezeworks kit is the best option

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a guy about 5 or 6 years ago selling just the bracket for $40 or $60, cant remeber which. I then went to that big auction site and bought a new one wire marine alt. for $60. Pretty simple to mount and wire. My main problem was that I had power steering and had to mount my alt low on the starboard side and it wanted to hit the stringer. A shorter belt and some grinding on the bracket gave me all I needed. Remeber, this was 5 or 6 years ago so prices have changed.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Breezeworks looks like a good kit at a decent price. However, I think I will check and see if anyone still sells the brackets before buying the kit. If I can do it for 1/3 the price, it will be worth buying the brackets, alternator, and belt separately.

Does anyone know of a current source for the brackets?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You don't HAVE TO remove the stator. The only time that it would be a problem is if one of the magnets in the rotor comes loose and things get jammed up. Once you figure how to get the rotor back on, removing the stator at a later date is pretty easy.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

You don't HAVE TO remove the stator. The only time that it would be a problem is if one of the magnets in the rotor comes loose and things get jammed up. Once you figure how to get the rotor back on, removing the stator at a later date is pretty easy.

OK. Thanks Terry. I will just put it back together with the stator. That way I can take my time figuring out what to do for the alternator conversion. I guess it could also be a nice back up -- in case the new alternator stops working while I am out I could just connect the stator wires to the regulator.

Honestly, myself, if my VR didn't quit on me I think I'd still have the factory setup.

There's a good well known phrase out there.... :friendly_wink:

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Honestly, myself, if my VR didn't quit on me I think I'd still have the factory setup.

There's a good well known phrase out there.... :friendly_wink:

Very true Eric. I will probably take my time in doing it. I am just thinking about avoiding problems (which is why I will probably go with the Breezeworks kit when I get around to the conversion). From what I have read, the alternator is on the list of changes needed to make the 3.7s more reliable - Heat exchanger (have 4"); Water pump seals (doing now); and Alternator conversion.

nola mike

Vice Admiral

What Eric said. You have a 25+ year old system that's likely original. Pretty reliable I'd say. The alternator conversion takes a couple of hours, and unless you're REALLY somewhere far away, you'll have no problems making it home even if your original unit craps out. Except for starting and ancillaries, these things don't need a lot of juice to run. I'd let it be, since even if it fails it shouldn't keep you off the water for long.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Really then only reason to change over is that the water cooled voltage regulator is so dang expen$ive!!!

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Got it. Thanks for the advice guys. When I am done with the water pump seals I guess I will just do the ignition upgrade next and leave the charging system alone as long as it still works.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Before you even ask, Petronix Ignitor II 91146A, And Flamethrower II 45011 (oil) or 45111 (epoxy). LOL!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I went with epoxy, but I don't think it makes much difference. The epoxy is supposed to be more rugged, but the oil should be just fine too.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I went with epoxy, but I don't think it makes much difference. The epoxy is supposed to be more rugged, but the oil should be just fine too.