AlphaI genII prop spins slow in forward, but fast in reverse. Cause?

nstrom91

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a AlphaI GenII that I just purchased. It has some problems that I knew about going into it.
Right now I'm working on the slow spinning prop. When in reverse the prop spins and will get up to speed depending on throttle position. In neutral the prop does not move. The problem is that when I engage the throttle into forward the prop spins very slowly, by this I mean that if the boat was in the water it would definitely not be enough to propel the boat. It was getting late today and I forgot to take note of if the RPM's changed. So tomorrow I plan on getting my hands dirty, any recommendations on where to start my trouble shooting, or any thoughts on what the cause of the problem is?

Thanks folks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: AlphaI genII prop spins slow in forward, but fast in reverse. Cause?

Hi all,

I have a AlphaI GenII that I just purchased. It has some problems that I knew about going into it.
Right now I'm working on the slow spinning prop. When in reverse the prop spins and will get up to speed depending on throttle position. In neutral the prop does not move. The problem is that when I engage the throttle into forward the prop spins very slowly, by this I mean that if the boat was in the water it would definitely not be enough to propel the boat. It was getting late today and I forgot to take note of if the RPM's changed. So tomorrow I plan on getting my hands dirty, any recommendations on where to start my trouble shooting, or any thoughts on what the cause of the problem is?

Thanks folks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Is the drive actually engagin' forward,..??

Any noises,..??
Any metal in it's oil,..??
Is this on the wagon, or in the water,..??

friscoone

Recruit

Sounds like a spun prop to me...had something similar happen to me. Check on Google as to how to check for a spun prop
Hope This Helps

nstrom91

Cadet

there is a light rattling but I believe this is my spline washer and tab washer because they are slightly loose. Other than that no noise. I drained about a quarter of the gear lube and found no signs of metal although it was rather dirty. We still have ice on our lakes here so this is in the driveway with muffs on. When moving the fwd/rvs control I can see the cables moving but am unsure of what I should be checking for if that is where the problem is. From my reading It appears that the lower shift cable could be a culprit but don't know how to check if its working or not. Is it possible that the upper or lower shift cable may just need to be adjusted? Although I don't understand how they would become unadjusted to begin with.

thumpar

Admiral

It may not be engaging in forward. If it was a spun hub it would be in both forward and reverse and not noticeable out of the water.

nstrom91

Cadet

So I checked my shift cable and it was about a 1/4 inch off. I adjusted this to get it within an 1/8 inch. I was unable to start the boat because of how late it was but in this 1/4 inch difference enough to cause the gears not to engage in forward?

thumpar

Admiral

It is not gears it is clutch dogs. A little bit can make a big difference. The cable could just be worn out. It can stretch and the lining can get a groove in it from the cable rubbing.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

If (as I assume) you are troubleshooting this out of the water (hopefully on muffs when engine is running, of course), then I suggest the following method:
1. Engine "OFF" (and key "out")
2. Engage shifter in full forward
3. Try to rotate prop CW. It should "ratchet" on the clutch dogs.
4. Try to rotate the prop CCW. It should "lock" (remember, this is the method for installing your drive after maintenance).
5. Put shifter in full reverse.
6. Try to rotate prop CCW, it should ratchet.
7. Try to rotate prop CW, it should lock.
8. SHift to neutral.
9. Prop should turn freely.

That will clear up any questions with the "mechanical" portion of your shifting.
I doubt it is a spun prop, as a spun prop will spin normally when in gear on muffs due to no load.

Adjusting your shift cabe may affect your shift interrupt switch. Make sure you check the switch operation out after you are done.

Remember also that when you shift these things (with engine running) you need to do it "swiftly" so the clutch dogs engage properly (it should "clunk"into gear). If doing it slowly, you risk not engaging the dogs and it will make ratcheting noise and the prop will spin slowly.

HTH!
KB

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Sounds like a spun prop to me...had something similar happen to me. Check on Google as to how to check for a spun prop
Hope This Helps

Google? Yes, Google can find answers for most (ok, all) anything.... But hey, you're already here! Your answers to your boat questions are all right here! (Google will probably point you right back here anyway!:ranger:)

nstrom91

Cadet

Well after much dinking around I brought the boat into a local shop and they tracked it down to the shift cable. I guess it wore through the sleeve that it sits in. Now I'm just waiting to get it back and hopefully hit the cold MN waters soon. While I have everyone's attention, I'm going to start re doing the interior. I plan on starting with the side panels. Now is it recommended that I use marine grade plywood? I only ask because it is so expensive.

Bondo

Staff member

Well after much dinking around I brought the boat into a local shop and they tracked it down to the shift cable. I guess it wore through the sleeve that it sits in. Now I'm just waiting to get it back and hopefully hit the cold MN waters soon. While I have everyone's attention, I'm going to start re doing the interior. I plan on starting with the side panels. Now is it recommended that I use marine grade plywood? I only ask because it is so expensive.

Ayuh,.... Take that question down to the Repair, 'n Restoration forum,....