Setting points/dwell

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am flushing on muffs while turning the engine over to check dwell or not necessary?gonna put those pups in at #1 tdc so it should be damn close right?full tune on the agenda for tomorrow.thanks-B

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting points/dwell

You doing this by feeler gauge or with a meter? With a meter(recommended) you can pretty close by cranking the engine with the cap off and adjusting. Then you check again once the engine is running and adjust once more for the offset.

alldodge

Staff member

I am flushing on muffs while turning the engine over to check dwell or not necessary?gonna put those pups in at #1 tdc so it should be damn close right?full tune on the agenda for tomorrow.thanks-B

Close enough until running

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

going to set them with a feeler gage then check em with a meter by turning it over,then check em again before setting timing with the engine running,but should I have the muffs on when turning the engine over with the ignition disabled?they seem to be square out of the package.do you have a pic of the adjusting screw I may have missed it in the manual.

Last edited:

jimmy wise

Petty Officer 1st Class

the way I was shown was to get it close on a lobe. mark distributer and loosen clamp. adjust distributer until points are on top of lobe. set with gauge. move distributer back to mark. if changing them don't forget the lube. if they are the gm style with an allen wrench adjustment....put them in and adjust them running with a dwell meter