Mercruiser alpha one gen one lower swap

mowalkerman

Recruit
OK, This is probably a simple question for anyone Mercruiser savvy, but I am not sure. Looking at buying a Lower for my boat on eBay, broke the vertical shaft on a rock and its wasted.
The seller says that all the alpha one gen 1 lowers are the same for every engine, that the only difference is if it's left or right handed rotation. Trying to see if this is correct. The boat it came off of was a 4 cyl and mine is a 5.0. Will this work?
I am just changing the lower section of the out-drive and he states all the gearing is in the upper and won't be affected. Thank you!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser alpha one gen one lower swap

OK, This is probably a simple question for anyone Mercruiser savvy, but I am not sure. Looking at buying a Lower for my boat on eBay, broke the vertical shaft on a rock and its wasted.
The seller says that all the alpha one gen 1 lowers are the same for every engine, that the only difference is if it's left or right handed rotation. Trying to see if this is correct. The boat it came off of was a 4 cyl and mine is a 5.0. Will this work?
I am just changing the lower section of the out-drive and he states all the gearing is in the upper and won't be affected. Thank you!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

The Seller is correct,.....
The Lowers are the same, gear ratios change with the Uppers,...