Weird sound coming from drive in reverse

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday I started my motor and ran it for a bit to do a oil change. While going to increase the throttle a bit I accidentally hit the reverse and forgot to push the throttle button and the drive had a clunking/clicking noise. I put it in neutral and waited a min then I put it in forward gear and it sounded fine. I stop the engine and restarted it and put it in reverse and the sound still occurred. I stopped the motor and check the prop to see if it was loose and it was fine. I turn it clockwise and it was smooth, them turned it counter clockwise and it clicked.
Could this be the shift shoe? I did recently replace the water pump and had a little difficulties putting the lower unit back on. The drive also has fresh gear oil in it.
Any ideas on the what the noise is?

1986 Mercruiser 260HP V8 w/ Alpha One Generation 1 Drive

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Weird sound coming from drive in reverse

Ayuh,.... Sounds like the lower shift cable is dyin', or outa adjustment,....

Yer probably hearin' the reverse that ain't all the way into gear,...

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

It's probably out of adjustment going to drop the unit and reposition the spline.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

That actually sounds sort of normal to me. A lot of the older drives get some 'slop' in the shift system, and since the forward gear is where the most power would be applied, the person adjusting the shift cable would bias it towards forward to counter any slop. The noise you're hearing in reverse is just the inertia of the prop causing the dogs to rattle.

Chris...

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

That actually sounds sort of normal to me. A lot of the older drives get some 'slop' in the shift system, and since the forward gear is where the most power would be applied, the person adjusting the shift cable would bias it towards forward to counter any slop. The noise you're hearing in reverse is just the inertia of the prop causing the dogs to rattle.

Chris...

But the noise is constant. What are the dogs

Bondo

Staff member

But the noise is constant. What are the dogs

Ayuh,.... They're the gear like cogs on the back of the gear, that engage the gear,....
a ratchetin' dog-clutch,...

Don't keep doin' it, it's wearin' itself to junk status,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

can you post a video of the noise. Noises are one of the hardest things to diagnose without hearing them.