Outdrive is off- what should I replace?

brenz566

Recruit
Hello everyone. Just got possesion of a 1970 Seastar I/O that's been sitting in a garage for about 8 years. The outdrive is currently off, so I was wondering what I should think about replacing while it's apart? It's been awhile since I tinkered with an I/O, so any help is appreciated!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: Outdrive is off- what should I replace?

Transom kit, water pump kit and a pressure test to be sure the shaft seals are still good.

alldodge

Staff member

Hello everyone. Just got possesion of a 1970 Seastar I/O that's been sitting in a garage for about 8 years. The outdrive is currently off, so I was wondering what I should think about replacing while it's apart? It's been awhile since I tinkered with an I/O, so any help is appreciated!

+1 and will add, batteries, fuel filter, plugs, change oil and filter. Check engine alignment, grease gimbal and smell the gas. If gas smells something other then gas, pump it out and put fresh in. Adding stabil or other crud will not make gas good to use

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If it's been sitting doing nothing for that long, replace anything rubber. All bellows, water pump impeller. Also pull the exhaust elbow/s and check that/those... You don't say what the engine is...

Also ditch any fuel in the tank, fuel lines, pump and carb. The tank, lines, pump and carb will most likely need cleaning and setting up too, and the points, plugs and condensor.

Chris.....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A 44 year old boat that has been sitting for 8 years.The list will be much smaller as to "What not" to replace.Good luck !! Charlie