1994 Mercruiser 3.0 ignition module

Ckent89

Recruit
My ignition module went out on my mercruiser so I went to the local advance and got a gm ignition module since that's what was stamped on the block (gm) I figured it would work well the guy gave me a ignition module for a 350 engine and I put it on and it started up it just now will not go over 2700rpm but in neutral it will rev up no problem I'm thinking maybe the v8 module is throwing the timing off but I'm not sure my question is can I use a gm module or do I have to go to a marine store and buy one for the mercruiser? Please help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Mercruiser 3.0 ignition module

Hard to say, did you time it using the manual? It is very specific on how to time the motor.Were the part numbers the same?

Ckent89

Recruit

Hard to say, did you time it using the manual? It is very specific on how to time the motor.Were the part numbers the same?

I never changed the timing but I do feel that the module is causing some sort of timing issue maybe because it was for a 350 gm and not a 4cyl but that guy said they were the same module for both

Ckent89

Recruit

And no the part number wasn't the same they couldn't cross reference the number either