2005 350 MAG MPI Bravo 1 (impeller?)

japelfrey

Recruit
Hello everyone, I have a 2005 Bryant 219 with the above engine. I have a bravo 1 (0W265951) and I have only owned it a short time. It truly is in great shape, it went through last summer without a problem, winterized it and when i got it ready for spring, i put the muffs on it in the driveway and lowered the transom and tested everything to make sure it would start when we got to the water. While in the driveway, it appeared to be running fine, water in through inlets (muffs) and ejected through front end of prop. I got to the water today, started through the no wake and it seemed okay, then it started overheating and I had to get towed back to the dock. Is there anyway to verify it's the impeller or sea water pick up pump or some other cooling component? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 350 MAG MPI Bravo 1 (impeller?)

Pull pump hose off to t-stat housing and test to see if water is pumpm out of it...

Bondo

Staff member

Hello everyone, I have a 2005 Bryant 219 with the above engine. I have a bravo 1 (0W265951) and I have only owned it a short time. It truly is in great shape, it went through last summer without a problem, winterized it and when i got it ready for spring, i put the muffs on it in the driveway and lowered the transom and tested everything to make sure it would start when we got to the water. While in the driveway, it appeared to be running fine, water in through inlets (muffs) and ejected through front end of prop. I got to the water today, started through the no wake and it seemed okay, then it started overheating and I had to get towed back to the dock. Is there anyway to verify it's the impeller or sea water pick up pump or some other cooling component? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Changin' the Impeller is step #1 in any overheat situation,...

Make sure to make note of which hose goes where...

alldodge

Staff member

+1 with bondo, also when was the impeller replaced last?

japelfrey

Recruit

I called original owner and with the 130 hours on the boat it has never been replaced. So I will start there.From what I see these are a PITA. As I verify the impeller, this is a bravo so it is only in the housing bottom of engine and none in the transom like alpha's correct?

For anyone around brackish or salt ( coastal Georgia) would it make sense to look at closed loop cooling or is the raw water cooling okay as long as a good muff flush after each use to keep engine safe?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I called original owner and with the 130 hours on the boat it has never been replaced.

It's not the hours of use - it is the age of the impeller that is an issue. The rubber vanes take a set and get brittle. Then they break off and start causing problems. When you pull out the old one, if it is missing any of the vanes, then you will need to find where they are down system.

On the closed system - most agree that once the engine has been used in salt water for any length of time, then it is too late for a closed system cooling. The rust flakes tend to clog the heat exchanger. I boat exclusively in salt water and simply flush the engine after each use.

japelfrey

Recruit

Right, I didn't know it hadn't been changed and will make sure I do it at least every 2 seasons from now on. I was just curious on the closed system. I figured once you go in the brackish you don't have an option. I plan of just using raw cooling and doing a fresh water muff flush after each trip.