4.3 mercruiser power steering maintenance

Rbryan94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys,

This is an easy one , I think. I have a 30' 88 Chris Craft w/twin 4.3 Alpha One gen 1's. When I remove the back seat I can get to the power steering at the transom. My question is how to I correctly grease and oil this unit? BTW this power steering is flawless and has been. No issues, no play, turn very smooth and easy. This is just for maintenance. Somebody told me to retract the cable before I grease the fittings. Is this true , and is it as simple as turning the wheel? Someone else said put motor oil on pivot pins. Somebody out there must know the proper way to grease and oil this unit. Thank you in advance for any feedback. This site makes owning a boat less confusing!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 mercruiser power steering maintenance

Hi guys,

This is an easy one , I think. I have a 30' 88 Chris Craft w/twin 4.3 Alpha One gen 1's. When I remove the back seat I can get to the power steering at the transom. My question is how to I correctly grease and oil this unit? BTW this power steering is flawless and has been. No issues, no play, turn very smooth and easy. This is just for maintenance. Somebody told me to retract the cable before I grease the fittings. Is this true , and is it as simple as turning the wheel? Someone else said put motor oil on pivot pins. Somebody out there must know the proper way to grease and oil this unit. Thank you in advance for any feedback. This site makes owning a boat less confusing!

Ayuh,.... It wouldn't hurt to turn port, 'n give it a couple of pumps, then turn starboard, 'n repeat,...

'bout any spray grease is just Fine for shootin' any other linkages to keep 'em movin' smoothly,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Turn to full port and grease. The reason is because if you don't, you run the risk of filling the cavity between the end of the cable and the rod with grease and causing a hydraulic lock....

Rbryan94

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you very much