Boat won't start after carb rebuild

mshiff62

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 470 Mercruiser with the 2 barrel carb, and the carb was rebuilt and set to factory settings. I tried for a while today to get it to start but it just kept turning over. I even let it sit a while to let the gas dry out because I figured it was loaded up. Does anyone know any tricks? The choke is set at the factory mark, air screw is 2 turns out. I figured that it would take a while to start after setting all winter, but something isnt right. Help!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Boat won't start after carb rebuild

Have you checked the basics? Carb getting fuel? Spark at the plugs?

mshiff62

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, definitely getting fuel and spark.

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hold ur hand over the carb of a second or two while someone turns it over. Do this after you make sure u are getting fuel and spark.

ziggy

Admiral

did it run prior to the carb rebuild? if it did, first suspect would be the rebuild itself. who did the rebuild? you? (preferred imho) what factory specs? from the oem service manual?

the way i get carb rebuilding. some carbs are just not rebuildable. they just don't work out for who knows what reason.

worse comes to worse. compression, fuel and spark at the right time. which one don't ya have?

Pete104

Lieutenant

Sitting all winter & you have spark? Right off the bat?

You better check the points. Those delco distributors don't like moisture.

mshiff62

Seaman Apprentice

Well after letting it sit overnight and doing some thinking, I decided to switch out the gasket between the carb and intake. My rebuild kit had come with 2, so I decided to put the other one on, pumped the throttle twice, and she wanted to start. Another key turn and she fired up, roughly, but after she was to temp I was able to adjust the carb a little and had her purring like a kitten. I'm also thinking about converting to electronic ignition next winter, any thoughts on that?