converting to electronic ingnition

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
After my adventure last weekend I am not going to deal with points any longer.

Reviewed lots of old threads and I'm confident I can do the conversion, however not sure which kit or combo of parts I need. Blaster this, blaster that, Pretolite, etc and most seemed to be for a 3.0 or a 5.0.

I did some searching here on iboats and there is some voltage differences; is one better than the other or is it needed by motor type?

I also looked at some other websites and some come with plug wires and such which I might as well do if I'm in there?

Please point me to the right kit/parts combo.

1979 mercruier; pre alpha, 5.7, 260 hp

IMG_20140404_142959_190.jpg

IMG_20140404_142937_781.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: converting to electronic ingnition

oh and internal resistor coil (?) was the one we replaced, whatever that means. Well, I know what a coil is not sure about the resistor.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

oh and internal resistor coil (?) was the one we replaced, whatever that means. Well, I know what a coil is not sure about the resistor.

Ayuh,.... Find a Delco EST, 'n follow the instructions that come with it,...

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

what seems to be your problem with a points system? There easy to understand and keep working correctly.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

:D Not my problem, the points problem. Died on me, want to have something less finicky.

I've read many many threads on the subject, spoken to many friends and believe I am making the correct decision.

Bondo found lots of reading to do saw one that said clockwise rotation. Is that standard?

Bondo

Staff member

:D Not my problem, the points problem. Died on me, want to have something less finicky.

I've read many many threads on the subject, spoken to many friends and believe I am making the correct decision.

Bondo found lots of reading to do saw one that said clockwise rotation. Is that standard?

Ayuh,.... It oughta be, but go Look at yer's,...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

not a wrench turner by trade - how do I tell? Pull top off, crank engine and watch?

MikDee

Banned

It's a small block Chevy the Dizzy spins clockwise from the top!

Last edited:

MikDee

Banned

If you're not that mechanical, then do yourself a favor. When you do get around to taking out the Distributor, with the cap off MAKE SURE that it, and the crank, is set to TDC on Cyl. #1. Then once out, do not move the crank from TDC #1. Then you should be good to just drop in the new Dizzy, and continue from there. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 clockwise. Sometimes, In order to get the rotor to #1 when installing the new Dizzy, you might have to drop it in, then pull it out just a bit, and turn it in the direction needed, then drop it in again, and repeat if needed until it drops into the right spot.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

If you're not that mechanical, then do yourself a favor. When you do get around to taking out the Distributor, with the cap off MAKE SURE that it, and the crank, is set to TDC on Cyl. #1. Then once out, do not move the crank from TDC #1. Then you should be good to just drop in the new Dizzy, and continue from there. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 clockwise. Sometimes, In order to get the rotor to #1 when installing the new Dizzy, you might have to drop it in, then pull it out just a bit, and turn it in the direction needed, then drop it in again, and repeat if needed until it drops into the right spot.

will do thank you.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind that it probably wont drop all the way in due to the oil pump shaft. As the distributor goes in it rotates clockwise due to the way the gear is cut. So you may think it is right but still be one tooth off. I am still running points, and have no desire to swap over. Points are cheap, simple and a very reliable system. The only downside to them is you cant leave the ignition on without the engine running.

MikDee

Banned

Keep in mind that it probably wont drop all the way in due to the oil pump shaft. As the distributor goes in it rotates clockwise due to the way the gear is cut. So you may think it is right but still be one tooth off. I am still running points, and have no desire to swap over. Points are cheap, simple and a very reliable system. The only downside to them is you cant leave the ignition on without the engine running.

That's what I was implying, when you drop the dizzy in, it will not go all the way in usually,,, the flat tang on the bottom will only drop fully into the slot on the oil pump gear in 2 spots, 180 degrees apart. If you pull the Dizzy out a little, and drop it back in, the oil pump gear, & slot, moves a little, and it will then drop in again a bit further along the way (clockwise), you can just continue to do this till the Dizzy drops in all the way, with the rotor (right where you want it!). It is a little painstaking, but it does work, without disturbing anything else in the engine. Just make sure your Dist. base is right where you want it before you finish.

If you were replacing your old Dizzy, I'd say stake a mark on both the base, & manifold with a small chisel, if there's not one there already? or just use a magic marker instead, so you can put the base back in exactly where it was. This way with your rotor on Cyl.#1, and the base lined up. Now, just snug the Dizzy bolt down, so you can move it with a little effort, put your timing light on it, and the timing should be Dead On! If not, move the Dizzy till it is, and tighten the bolt good & snug, but not caveman tight!,,,lol